Jetboard Joust: Next-Generation Retro Arcade SHMUP - Steam Page Now Up!

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
BitBullDotCom
Remakenaut

Re: Jetboard Joust: Next-Generation Retro Arcade SHMUP - Steam Page Now Up!

Post by BitBullDotCom » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:55 am

Hey there - thanks again for playing this so much and taking the time to give me the feedback. It's really, really helpful!

If the first weapon you've unlocked is the grenade launcher then there's an awful lot you've missed! I'm wondering why that was - do you think it's not clear where to go on the map or maybe it's not obvious how the map works? Or maybe it's not clear you have to actively release the guardian when the level is complete? Maybe I should have a suggested route, or a 'help' type prompt the first time the map is opened or something?

The first weapon unlock is the shotgun which is on the second row on the left. This is a very short-range weapon with a lot of kickback so I'm thinking of replacing it with the Uzi9mm which is currently on the 5th row. The Uzi9mm has a longer range and no really kickback so operates more like the original Defender weapon in feel.

The sixth row has a jetsuit upgrade which is really important and makes life a lot easier as it pretty much doubles your health/shields.

As you've figured out, the range on the default weapon (pistol) increases a fair bit as you upgrade it, as does it on most of the other weapons too.

The first unlock on the second world is the plasma rifle which is supposed to be basically the same as the original Defender weapon, you might find that hard to get without getting more tooled up first though! : D

I really like the idea of the babies wandering around. I'm going to have to put that on the 'nice to have' list as I can see it having knock-on effects with the way the enemies track them and pick them up. It would be really cool though. Thanks for the info on the other bug, I'm supposed to get crash reports sent through but I never received anything so that's not working for some reason!
====

James Closs, Director & Wielder of Code, BitBull Ltd

http://www.bitbull.com
Please wishlist Jetboard Joust on Steam

@BitBullDotCom

====

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:09 pm

I think I was just being a bit thick. Definitively missed releasing the guardian on the earlier levels, as well as the significance of the key at the side of the map. Doh!

With your hints I have unlocked a number of other weapons and the suit upgrade so all is well.

Getting used to the grenade launcher - useful on the strange ufo/bird things but don't like the shotgun (yet). haven't tied out the gatling gun but guess this will be fun and deadly!

Sometimes I can't get to some sectors on the map screen but have realised that I have to start above and work down.

Still getting further though the game so haven't hit a brick wall in difficulty yet but the fact that you can replay levels, upgrade and get more powerful weapons works well to balance the difficultly. Being a bit old school, I am particularly looking forward to getting the Defender laser...

Still having fun.

P.S. Away for a few days so no updates until at least Wednesday (I haven't given up on the game).

BitBullDotCom
Remakenaut

Post by BitBullDotCom » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:53 am

Havie wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:09 pm
I think I was just being a bit thick. Definitively missed releasing the guardian on the earlier levels, as well as the significance of the key at the side of the map. Doh!

:lol: well - if you think of anything that would have made things clearer I'm all ears!

Havie wrote:
Getting used to the grenade launcher - useful on the strange ufo/bird things but don't like the shotgun (yet). haven't tied out the gatling gun but guess this will be fun and deadly!

Those bird-like enemies are actually based on the bombers from Defender. They don't look anything like them but the movement is similar (and the fact they drop bombs of course)! I deliberately made the scanner icon similar to the Defender bomber!

The Gatling Gun has a ton of recoil as well, The Uzi is probably the most 'normal' feeling weapon that you unlock earlier on. Based on some other feedback as well as yours I think I'm going to add some more weapons early on, they will be more 'space' themed as at the moment all the initial weapons are pretty conventional. There'll be a gun included that's long-range but with no recoil and fairly weak, I think that's what people are expecting. The shotgun can be really useful on some enemies as it's so high powered but the range is so short and the repeat rate so slow that it takes a lot of getting used to.

Havie wrote:
Sometimes I can't get to some sectors on the map screen but have realised that I have to start above and work down.

Yes, you can access any level for which you've unlocked a teleport as well as the two levels below the one you've just completed. Again, if you think I can make that clearer somehow let mw know. I think I will make it select one of the two levels below automatically so that even if people don't chooses anything and just hit 'select' right away it still takes them on a vaguely sensible route through the game.

Havie wrote:
Still getting further though the game so haven't hit a brick wall in difficulty yet but the fact that you can replay levels, upgrade and get more powerful weapons works well to balance the difficultly. Being a bit old school, I am particularly looking forward to getting the Defender laser...

Good to know you think that works, I wanted it so you can 'grind' the earlier levels a bit to earn more upgrades and stuff. That's something I've taken from Dark Souls.

Really glad you're still having fun with it and thanks again for the continued feedback!
====

@BitBullDotCom

====

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:45 am

I'm back!

Had a go with the gatling gun and I quite like it - recoil isn't too bad and fire rate is good.

With regards to making the map clearer - perhaps a mini-tutorial to show what each icon means or a mini animation that you get if you hover over them? Saying that - as you play the game, the importance of the icons becomes clear and as this is a retro style game, you don't want to hold the hand of the player too much.

Bird enemies or now we shall call them bombers are tricky.

Now I understand the importance of teleports - not sure it's necessary to spell this out. haven't worked out the signifcance of warp gates yet.

One 'bug' I have discovered is that sometimes I disappear off the top of the screen and can still fly left and right (unless this isn't a bug and have become invisible).

I really like the pyramid map - strangley reminds me of 'The Pyramid' on the Speccy although your game is a tad better. :D

BitBullDotCom
Remakenaut

Post by BitBullDotCom » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:34 am

Havie wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:45 am
Had a go with the gatling gun and I quite like it - recoil isn't too bad and fire rate is good.

Great! Did you find the Uzi yet?

Havie wrote:
With regards to making the map clearer - perhaps a mini-tutorial to show what each icon means or a mini animation that you get if you hover over them? Saying that - as you play the game, the importance of the icons becomes clear and as this is a retro style game, you don't want to hold the hand of the player too much.

Yeah, maybe I am over-thinking it a bit. Most people seem to find it OK. I might just do something that draws your attention to the key a bit more. I could also increase the 'lookahead' - at the moment you only see items a few levels below the last level you've unlocked which would show more icons on the map to start with.

Havie wrote:
Bird enemies or now we shall call them bombers are tricky.

Yes, these are best taken out in one shot with the shotgun or other powerful weapon. If you aggro them they get pretty annoying! :D

Havie wrote:
Now I understand the importance of teleports - not sure it's necessary to spell this out. haven't worked out the signifcance of warp gates yet.

The warp gates are just a means for you to exit the level, so they allow access to the two levels immediately beneath you and nothing else.

Havie wrote:
One 'bug' I have discovered is that sometimes I disappear off the top of the screen and can still fly left and right (unless this isn't a bug and have become invisible).

Yes, that is a bug! I have never seen that - is there anything particular you're doing when it happens or does it just seem to happen randomly? I will look into it...

Havie wrote:
I really like the pyramid map - strangley reminds me of 'The Pyramid' on the Speccy although your game is a tad better. :D

Ha! Not strange as that was the inspiration for it! I always kind of liked that game though it didn't get a huge amount of love. Always thought it was a clever mechanic to add a certain exploration/non-linear element to what was basically a linear shooter.

I'm still plugging away on achievements. Done all the core code now and everything works with the Steam back-end, it's just the laborious task of adding the actual achievements and stats. There's going to be over a hundred of them so it's taking some time. It's the sort of thing I can just put some music on and crank out though now the hard stuff's done.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the first boss - you must be almost there now :P
====

@BitBullDotCom

====

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41 am

I wonder if disappearing off the screen is either linked to the recoil from a weapon or you are bounced off screen when bumping into a baddie? I even managed to have just the board showing on screen in my last game. May or may not be linked to the mutants? Will try and identify exactly when it happens. The good news is that it isn't a game killing bug though!

BitBullDotCom
Remakenaut

Post by BitBullDotCom » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:13 am

Havie wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41 am
I wonder if disappearing off the screen is either linked to the recoil from a weapon or you are bounced off screen when bumping into a baddie? I even managed to have just the board showing on screen in my last game. May or may not be linked to the mutants? Will try and identify exactly when it happens. The good news is that it isn't a game killing bug though!
Thanks! It could well be linked to one of those things. I will check it out.
====

@BitBullDotCom

====

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:25 pm

Hi - sorry I haven't posted for a while; work and family have got in the way! Just had a play and when I died the game just stopped. Radar was still showing random noise but nothing happened. I had inadvertently pressed the X button on my Xbox controller that I use on my PC and it had brought up the annoying Xbox overlay!

Sorry, I just seem to post issues. Still enjoying the game though - just struggling to find time!

BitBullDotCom
Remakenaut

Post by BitBullDotCom » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:53 am

Hey there - no worries at all, I appreciate the continued input! I should be able to take a look at that bug as I have an Xbox controller.

I haven't posted any updates as I've been flat-out working on it. Achievements are done now, as well as a settings page and user-defineable keys (including a 'classic' Defender-style control mode). I've also added four new weapons based on your feedback and others to have some less conventional weapons earlier on in the game, including one that's long range and rapid fire that'll be the first unlock. Couple more enemies coming too...
====

@BitBullDotCom

====

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:44 pm

Nice to see that the game is evolving further - at some point you'll need to stop and finish!!!

Likely to be stuck at home by weekend so potential to have a lot more time to play over the coming weeks (once I've done my work).

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable