Jetboard Joust: Next-Generation Retro Arcade SHMUP - Steam Page Now Up!

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
BitBullDotCom
Remakenaut

Re: Jetboard Joust: Next-Generation Retro Arcade SHMUP - Steam Page Now Up!

Post by BitBullDotCom » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:14 pm

Havie wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:38 pm
One small request (feel free to ignore) - I can't help getting that old Defender vibe and Defender style controls would be great. There's nothing quite like flicking fire and the pressing reverse as you are zooming along.

Thank you very much for trying out the game! I'm really glad you liked it.

You are the third person to mention that about the controls so I'm definitely going to add a 'classic' option or something that works like the original Defender controls. I am also thinking about making a more 'rapid fire' weapon as the first unlock (again for a slightly more 'Defender' feel) as the current first unlock (shotgun) is a bit clunky/odd for a shmup of this nature really.

I only have achievements and things like settings/define keys to add now. Whilst trying to finish this has been a labour of love most of the time it's also felt like I've been trapped in an existential hell of my own making sometimes, I feel a bit like that now tbh!

Anyway, thanks again for your feedback and if you have any more fire away. I really appreciate the input I've had from this forum over the course of the development and will probably be posting a download link to the beta here soon.

====

James Closs, Director & Wielder of Code, BitBull Ltd

http://www.bitbull.com
Please wishlist Jetboard Joust on Steam

@BitBullDotCom

====

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:51 pm

Played again tonight using an xbox pad and played well! Still would like to compare to Defender controls.

I like the way that the games saves your position on the flow chart/trees you don't have to start at the beginning each time. I'm sure I saw a baiter chasing me at one point. Good fun game and the end is in sight. One last push.

BitBullDotCom
Remakenaut

Post by BitBullDotCom » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:28 pm

Havie wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:51 pm
Played again tonight using an xbox pad and played well! Still would like to compare to Defender controls.

I like the way that the games saves your position on the flow chart/trees you don't have to start at the beginning each time. I'm sure I saw a baiter chasing me at one point. Good fun game and the end is in sight. One last push.

Thanks again for playing! Yes, I added a baiter-type enemy that appears when the player is taking too long to complete a level just like in Defender. I don't think it's as hard as the baiters in Defender though, those guys were complete bastards! :lol:
====

@BitBullDotCom

====

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 pm

I don't think it's as hard as the baiters in Defender though, those guys were complete bastards! :lol:
Yep - they are definitely not quite as zippy!

Slowly working my way through the levels - still yet to get to a boss...

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:12 pm

P{laying short bursts m- now up to level 6. Discovered that you can destroy buildings and this stops some of the nasties hiding behind them...

BitBullDotCom
Remakenaut

Post by BitBullDotCom » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:33 am

Havie wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 pm
Yep - they are definitely not quite as zippy!

I read quite a lot about Defender when I started this game and one of the things I never realised before was that the reason the baiters are such utter bastards is that they move relative to the player, rather than relative to the world, making them pretty much impossible to outrun!

I tried this in my game but it didn't really seem to work for some reason. Maybe I'll take another look at that at some point!
Havie wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 pm
Slowly working my way through the levels - still yet to get to a boss...

What do you think of the overall difficulty level? I've played it so much I think I've lost all sense of perspective on it. It can pay to backtrack a bit through the levels so you can take different routes and unlock different weapons/upgrades.

I'm also thinking of adding an 'onslaught' mode or something where you play one level, one life and just fight increasing waves of enemies until you either die or all the babies get abducted. I'll probably add that after launch though.

Managed to break the back of integration with the Steamworks APIs yesterday so with a bit of luck I'll get achievements/leaderboards pretty much done next week. Having a day off today :D
====

@BitBullDotCom

====

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:28 pm

Difficulty seems fine to me - I suppose if I get stuck then maybe that'll change. Back tracking to get better weapons sounds like a plan as I do find the limited range of your weapon a tad annoying!!!

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:55 pm

I am definitely getting better and your tip of going back and playing through earlier levels is a good one. I now see that there is a bit of a strategy in building your cash in order to get more powerful weapons. This also answers my other query about the length of your shot - I can now see that as I upgrade, it fires further. I have also developed the strategy of panic and go for the shields...

Got to my first guardian and turned out to be attack of three mutants and then found a treasure chamber and a grenade launcher! Not sure I like the grenade launcher because of the kick back but adds variety.

New aliens discover include swarmers (as in defender) and eyeballs.

Strangely, the very repetitious tune is at all grating but just goes round in my head.

I have found one 'bug' - if when the teleport appears at the end of a wave on top of a building and you boost through buildings to destroy them, the teleport just hangs in space - looks to me like it should really fall to the ground. Also, it can be slight tricky to enter a teleport.

Having lots of fun though - thanks for a great game.

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Forgot to mention that, as I'm sure you know, the little men in Defender actually walk around the stages and aren't just stationary - it might be fun to see yours actually walking around and jumping off builds and climbing them etc - a bit like Lemmings!!!

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:47 pm

Got as far as level 9 now but just playing at level 7 and game crashed. Hadn't been playing for more than 15 minutes and nothing special was happening. This is the first time that the game has crashed on me.

PC Spec: i5-6400, 8gb ,Win 10