Jetboard Joust - Defender-Inspired Cute Retro SHMUP - Alpha Now Available For MacOS and Windows

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
BitBullDotCom
Remakenaut

Re: Jetboard Joust - Defender-Inspired Cute Retro SHMUP - Alpha Now Available For MacOS and Windows

Post by BitBullDotCom » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:14 am

Thanks - that's good to hear! I always feel a bit like it's all held together with string and sticking plasters, difficult to take a step back!
====

James Closs, Director & Wielder of Code, BitBull Ltd

http://www.bitbull.com | http://www.joystickjunkyard.com

@BitBullDotCom | @JunkyStickJoy

====

BitBullDotCom
Remakenaut

Re: Jetboard Joust - Defender-Inspired Cute Retro SHMUP - Alpha Now Available For MacOS and Windows

Post by BitBullDotCom » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:10 pm

There’s a section in Scott Rogers’ (pretty good) book on game design, ‘Level Up‘, where he talks about removing the ‘no fun’ from games. I’m paraphrasing here but essentially what he says is that if you identify the parts of your game that aren’t any fun and remove them, what you’re going to be left with is pure fun.

It’s a simple notion that almost sounds facetious but it actually makes an awful lot of sense, so this week I’ve been identifying a few things about the gameplay in Jetboard Joust that I don’t find any fun and figuring out ways to remove them.

1. Collecting Pickups
Though it’s an integral part of the game, constantly having to ‘land’ to collect pickups was proving to bit a bit of a chore. It would often lead into crashing into buildings by accident, getting stuck, losing momentum etc, all of which were no fun. Basically the game is generally too fast paced to allow for movements that require a lot of accuracy and I have to keep focussed on the core of the game which is blowing stuff up. This is not a platform game and it is not ‘Thrust‘!

So I have equipped the player’s jetboard with a tractor beam that automatically activates when it detects a pickup is nearby. Now the player just has to hover above a pickup in order to collect it allowing them to concentrate on the combat.

2. Pickup Generation – Ammo and Health
Whilst working on the bosses I realised a fundamental flaw in the way pickups were awarded. Previously they were only really awarded when an enemy was eliminated which meant that tackling a large enemy with an underpowered weapon would almost guarantee that the player would run out of ammo which was no fun at all. A similar issue existed for health pickups (though it wasn’t quite so detrimental to gameplay).

To overcome this issue I’ve allowed pickups to be awarded mid-battle. I have a tracker that tracks the mount of enemies killed, the amount of health deducted from enemies, and the amount of health lost by the player. If either of these passes a certain threshold a health or ammo pickup is generated as appropriate.

Ammo thresholds are based on the current armed weapon meaning that very powerful weapons that can take out a bunch of enemies at once (e.g. the RPG) are treated very differently from weaker weapons or weapons that can only really take out one enemy at a time. I still have to input and tweak these values but the structure is now there.

Lastly I decided to make the default weapon (the pistol) have infinite ammo. Seeing as I can never really have the player run out of ammo, allowing the default weapon to run out and automatically awarding an ammo cache (as I was previously doing) seemed like a pointless chore – it was a distraction from the core gameplay and no fun.

3. Pickup Generation – Rockets
Many people have commented on how much they like the jetboard ‘rocket attack’ and that it should be more integral to the game. Running out of rockets was no fun. Based on this feedback I have made the way that extra rockets are awarded more transparent (it’s based on the number of enemies killed and their difficulty) by integrating a visual indication of when the next rocket is to be awarded into the HUD. Now the rocket icon ‘charges up’ as enemies are killed making it easy to see when a new rocket will be awarded and thus allowing the player to make the most of their limited allowance.

4. Falling Off The Jetboard
Previously, if the player used the rocket attack to jump from their jetboard and the jetboard (but not the player) got blocked by a building mid-flight, the player would fall from their jetboard and lose a life. Losing a life like this was definitely no fun and often left players scratching their head wondering what had happened.

So I have got rid of that mechanic and implemented partially-destructible buildings instead. Now if the player’s jetboard gets blocked by a building whilst they are in mid-air above the building, the section of the building ‘above’ the jetboard will get destroyed. I may even add a few bonus items hidden inside buildings like to encourage this behaviour, destruction in games is generally fun!

5. The Gatling Gun
This weapon was simply too clunky. Even whilst playtesting I always felt slightly annoyed when I picked it up as it was both irritating to use and pretty ineffective, in other words it was no fun! The reasons for this were straightforward – the initial rate of fire was too slow and the recoil was too great. Upping the initial rate of fire and lowering the recoil have vastly improved the weapon handling and now, hopefully, this weapon will hold its own alongside the others.

6. Explosive Affiliation
I was always dithering about whether to allow the player to get blown up by their own explosive weapons (grenades, RPGs etc). Now I have decided that getting blown up by your own weapons is no fun, so I’ve removed it. This is not Call of Duty!

I have also added another subtle boost to the player in that, if the player destroys an enemy explosive (by shooting it), its ‘affilation’ is switched as if it was the player’s weapon in the first place. This allows the player to use an enemy’s weapons against them and, again, abides by the mantra of more destruction == more fun.

7. Explosive Damage
There were various inconsistencies with the way explosives worked which could make them difficult to predict and less fun to use. Consequently I’ve switched to using a raycasting algorithm for calculating explosive damage, this provides much more predictable (I hesitate to say ‘realistic’) results when explosive damage is blocked by buildings or other sprites.

As the shotgun also suffered from similar problems I’ve also switched to calculating shotgun damage using a raycasting method.

That’s all the ‘no fun’ that was really bothering me but if you’ve played the alpha and think of anything else please do let me know! Many of the above suggestions originate from player feedback.

Dev Time: 2.5 days
Total Dev Time: approx 209.5 days
====

====

Tam Toucan
Team RR

Post by Tam Toucan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:49 pm

Interesting reading the game dev decisions. All seem like good improvements. Is this the start of the last 10% (that takes 90% of the time) :)

BitBullDotCom
Remakenaut

Post by BitBullDotCom » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:57 am

Tam Toucan wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:49 pm
Interesting reading the game dev decisions. All seem like good improvements. Is this the start of the last 10% (that takes 90% of the time)
Haha - don't say that - I won't be finished for another 25 years!!

I reckon it's about 80% complete though really I'm hoping it's a bit more than that. A lot will depend on whether I decide to add extra background graphics or not. I am still undecided about the overall game structure, i.e. whether to split the levels into a series of 'worlds' (similar to the old speccie game Sidewize) or simply to have the whole thing as a linear playthrough like the old school arcade games.
====

====

BitBullDotCom
Remakenaut

Post by BitBullDotCom » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:54 am

For the past week or so I’ve been working on sorting out a few visual things that have been bugging me. I’ve also been busy with contract work and work on a rental property, and it’s been unbearably hot and the window is my office has jammed shut – this is why thing seem to have been moving slowly. Actually the coding has been going pretty fast when I’ve found time to do it and I feel like I’ve been zipping along compared to working on those damned bosses!

Anyway, here’s what I’ve been up to…

1. Scrolling Improvements
One things that’s been really annoying me has been a slight ‘judder’ to the scrolling of certain items. The more observant of you may have noticed this in some of the previous GIFs. It was obvious on some of the pickups and sometimes in the way the ground moved in relation to the buildings. There were a number of reasons for this…

Firstly, I had built the ground as a layer of parallax rather than an object in the world itself. This was dumb. I’ve transferred the ground tiles to actually be part of the world and move with the main game camera.

Secondly – rounding errors. This had me scratching my head for a while but I eventually figured out that the way the game scaled was the cause of the problem. I scale up all the game graphics based on the size of the screen and calculate their positions at full resolution (for smooth movement). As I position sprites from their centre point this meant that, if the scale size was an odd number AND the size of the sprite was an odd number you end up with a sprite of odd dimensions which is never going to be positioned consistently with a sprite of even dimensions (as positions always have to be rounded to an integer for display onscreen). The solution to this was to ensure that all sprites that can be positioned stationary on the ground have even dimensions.

Thirdly – rounding errors part 2! When sprites came to rest they would often land at some fractional x position which would lead to a similar problem as I’ve described above. The solution to this was to ensure that sprite positions are rounded to integers when they come to rest. This has no visual effect (as they’re rounded to integers for drawing anyway) but it makes for solid-looking scrolling.

Here's a quick clip - note no judder with the objects on the ground...

2. Impact Shader
What seems like an eternity ago now I added a ‘judder’ effect along with camera shake to give a more visceral quality to explosions and collisions. This effect was causing performance issues on some machines (as it required the entire screen to be re-rendered twice with a custom shader) plus I was never entirely happy with it. See the original effect here.

Recently I made changes to the way buildings are rendered so that they are pre-rendered to individual offscreen images rather than being rendered ‘on the fly’ as tiles. This enabled me to create a ‘judder’ effect by rendering the individual buildings with a custom shader rather than the entire screen. It also meant I could change the offset of the effect subtly per building based on the epicentre of the explosion/collision. It looks better and should perform considerably better too.

3. Smoke
Again, what seems like an eternity ago, I added a smoke effect which I always felt looked a little too ‘high res’ for the rest of the art style and was also causing a few performance issues on some machines. You can see the effect here (I usually turn this off for recording GIFs as it overloads the GIF compression).

I’ve redone this smoke effect. Each smoke cloud is now rendered in one pass (rather than a separate pass for each ‘particle’ in the previous method). The particle positions are calculated on the CPU (trivial) and passed to the shader each frame.

This enables me to give a ‘posterizing’ effect, ie reducing the amount of alpha levels where the smoke particles overlap. I can also render at a size consistent with the rest of the art and scale up to draw on screen, plus I’ve added a pseudo ‘dither’ effect for more lo-fi goodness. I’ve also got a lot more flexibility now for adding smoke clouds of different sizes.

I liked the previous effect but I think this one is much more in keeping with the overall art style.

4. Burst Geometry
Wasn’t intending to do this but, in the process of rationalising all my shader FX into my ‘mother of all geometry shaders’ I realised I hadn’t covered the ‘burst’ effect that I use for the muzzle flash on the gatling gun. So I felt obliged to sort this out, then I realised there were problems with the algorithm so I had to change the algorithm, then I had to add proper fades, cropping and looping to it. I also sorted out memory management for the geometry shader sprites (as I’m using them a lot now) so that they’re pooled as opposed to being created and destroyed each time.

Dev Time: 5 days (bit of a guess, I kind of lost track with a lot going on)
Total Dev Time: approx 214.5 days
====

====

Tam Toucan
Team RR

Post by Tam Toucan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Nice job on the smoke effect. I'd originally said it wasn't right for the rest of the art style. Much better now.

BitBullDotCom
Remakenaut

Post by BitBullDotCom » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:57 am

Tam Toucan wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:03 pm
Nice job on the smoke effect. I'd originally said it wasn't right for the rest of the art style. Much better now.
Thanks! Yeah, I thought it was here that I'd had that feedback. It was always bugging me slightly, that effect, and getting feedback that confirms your own suspicions is often the thing that pushes me into actually doing the work to fix it so thanks again!

I'm just back from a few days away visiting Lisbon (very nice city) and now have a couple of weeks contract work on (bit of a drag but the coffers are empty so it's good it's come up really) so might be a while before I post the next update. I think the next thing I'm going to add is the ability to work with different colour palettes.
====

====