The "I've released a thing" thread...

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
notrobot
Remakenaut

Re: The "I've released a thing" thread...

Post by notrobot » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:34 pm

Spoiler:
heh, fixed it now... I started again and the yellow key was indeed there. I must have picked it up and then I put it somewhere I couldn't get it back, or a bug ate it... anyway I've completed the game now!
Spoiler:
Damn you Scottige for that hidden Manic Miner level! Made me laugh out loud though!

Scottige
Team RR

Post by Scottige » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:20 am

Yeah, I made the achievement missable on purpose as it's not progress halting.
There is a rare bug where an object vanishes.
I thought I had squished it but I've had 1 report of it happening again.
I do have a cheat in to cover that eventuality so if you find yourself missing an item, message me on twitter and I'll help you out.

I'm currently in the process of creating a map and after that, will do a walk through.

SPOILER FOR OTHER MISSABLE ACHIEVEMENT
Spoiler:
You can use the net you catch the butterfly with to catch the seagull that flies around the start room for an achievement.

bartread

Post by bartread » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:40 pm

"The 'I've released a thing' thread" - haha, awesome.

Well, I don't get to spend much time on game development these days (it's only a hobby for me) but I have released a thing. In fact I've released two things: a version of Asteroids, called Shoot The Rocks, and a version of Star Castle, called Star Citadel.

For both of these I've implemented "classic" and "modern" variants. The classic variant aims to have mechanics as similar to the original arcade game as possible, whilst the modern variant has a few tweaks and enhancements (I won't say improvements because that's very much a matter of opinion, and depends on how much of a purist you are): power-ups, more fluid control, generally more forgiving difficulty curve to (hopefully) appeal more to people not used to the brutal difficulty of most classic arcade games.

Both can be played online within a web browser or on decent spec mobile devices from the last few years because they use HTML5, JavaScript and CSS rather than Flash. You should be fine with an iPhone 5S (released 2013) or later, or something of similar or better spec to a OnePlus 2 (released 2015) - these are the devices I generally test with.

Shoot The Rocks can be played at: https://arcade.ly/games/asteroids/. Although released, Shoot The Rocks does still need a few additions:

- I'd like to add the killer satellites from Asteroids Deluxe
- I also thought that black holes might be quite a fun idea
- Finally, to compensate for the increased difficulty of destroying multi-hit asteroids on higher levels in the modern variant, I wanted to add some simple power-ups to give players a better chance

Screenshot 2017-03-10 21.55.57.png

Star Citadel can be played at: https://arcade.ly/games/starcastle/. This one's completely finished from a game mechanics point of view, although I want to do things like make the menus work with game controllers, add redefinable keyboard controls, and suchlike, but these aren't specific to the game.

star-castle-game-gallery-139.jpg

Both games are free and can be played with keyboard or, on mobiles and tablets, touch and tilt controls. I've also got some basic game controller support in there although it's not totally reliable. The games can be played using the browser on a PS4 Pro but the framerate, as of the last time I checked, was dreadful. XBox One X does a better job but, because you can't navigate the menus with a game controller, neither game is (yet) playable: I need to sort this out.

No idea what they'd be like on the vanilla consoles, but I'd guess the experience won't be great on at least the PS4. It looks like the PS4 browser's JavaScript runtime hasn't been well optimised, whereas the Xbox One's has (it's basically running Microsoft's Edge browser).

Any desktop or laptop computer from the last few years should handle both games fine in a modern browser. I certainly haven't found a computer that wasn't capable of running them yet, although I'd bet you might struggle if your machine is older than around 2011.

Any feedback/suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Bart

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:17 pm

Tam Toucan
Team RR

Post by Tam Toucan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:41 am

Whilst stuck in hospital for a fair amount of last year I wrote a novella. 'Trip: Change the Drugs. Change the World.'

I've put it for free until the 21st on Amazon

WARNING. Drug related content.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q8249FG