I built an arcade joystick

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
Havie
Team RR

I built an arcade joystick

Post by Havie » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Ordered some (cheap) buttons and a joystick of Amazon the other day with an encoder to make it all USB and then put it altogether in a cardboard box! Worked ok but need to improve it so at car boot on Sunday found a 1 bottle wind box and have moded this to be the joystick. Only 1 play but works pretty well. Avoided painting it by covering with vinyl. All in all came out pretty well.

Wanted it for Mame (might raspberry pi it - not sure) but haven't dabbled in Mame for a long time and have no idea where to get working roms...

Also had no idea about the 8 way v 4 way thing but can say that Pacman (old Mame) is pretty tricky as the joystick is 8 way. Apparenly new Mame emulates a 4 way (I guess it interprets diagonal) hence my desire to try the latest version

Here is is in all it's glory:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1szr5r ... UeYQsMUHfP

Havie
Team RR

Re: I built an arcade joystick

Post by Havie » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:48 pm

Forgot to mention that it's 6 buttons. 2 on left are 1 player or 2 player start and you enter coins with the button on the front.

Sokurah
Remakenaut

Post by Sokurah » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Cardboard box though? Wow, do you feel that's stable enough?

I want to build an arcade joystick this summer ... but I haven't gotten to it yet.
It'll be used with JAMMA PCB's and a supergun, so it doesn't need any fancy electronics apart from some basic wiring, but I need to find or build a case/cabinet for it ... and I'm not sure what to use/go for.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
Twitter: Sokurah

notrobot
Remakenaut

Post by notrobot » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Heh, nice, just needs a proper case though, I don't think that'd survive a full round of Daley Thompson's Decathlon!

You can get something laser cut out of plywood or other for not very much these days.
(That reminds me, I really should finish the nixie clock I've been building forever)

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:13 am

Havie wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:47 pm
Ordered some (cheap) buttons and a joystick of Amazon the other day with an encoder to make it all USB and then put it altogether in a cardboard box! Worked ok but need to improve it so at car boot on Sunday found a 1 bottle wine box and have moded this to be the joystick. Only 1 play but works pretty well. Avoided painting it by covering with vinyl. All in all came out pretty well.

Wanted it for Mame (might raspberry pi it - not sure) but haven't dabbled in Mame for a long time and have no idea where to get working roms...

Also had no idea about the 8 way v 4 way thing but can say that Pacman (old Mame) is pretty tricky as the joystick is 8 way. Apparenly new Mame emulates a 4 way (I guess it interprets diagonal) hence my desire to try the latest version

Here is is in all it's glory:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1szr5r ... UeYQsMUHfP

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:18 am

The cardboard box version was ore a proof of concept and to check it all worked. I then use one of these:

The next step is to develop a 2 player version on they way to a bar top cabinet (already found a 14/15" tv to use). Probably will be Pi3 but maybe an old laptop would be better - think Mame on PC is still the best option?

_Steve_
Remakenaut

Post by _Steve_ » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Havie wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Current 0.200 MAME roms are around 60GB (for all of them - excluding software lists and CHDs). CHDs for it add another 470GB ish, and the software lists and CHDs if I recall would add another 2.2TB between them. This doesn't even take into account the extras (screenshots, title screens, cheat database etc) which adds another 42GB ish of data.

I have the ROMs and CHDs for 0.200 - just never bothered with the software lists and CHDs for them. These are generally available on private tracker torrent ratio sites.

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:54 pm

My problem is that I have downloaded 0.200 and it refuses to run. No ini file but if I follow instructions to create one - nothing happens. Any ideas?

Also discovered that the restrictor plate on the jopystick is moveable so if I take the plate off, squeeze and twist, the centre rotates into a 4 way position. Pacman plays much better but pacmania still misses some ups and downs. I wonder if it is the version of Mame I have. need to get the latest version working...