The "I'm working on a thing" thread

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
Tam Toucan
Team RR

Re: The "I'm working on a thing" thread

Post by Tam Toucan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:13 pm

sparkes wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:56 am
GalAttack is now available for download on the link above. Still no finished projects, outside of paid work, since 2011 :( but it's playable and only lacks a one feature that is really required and took just 10/11 hours to get to this point so it's not a fail. Just not the Mojo kick I wanted.
Nice version. I enjoyed playing it in "pacifist mode" where I don't shoot and just let the ships crash into the bullet at the front of my ship :)

BTW how do you quit?

sparkes
Remakenaut

Post by sparkes » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:03 pm

lol, it was full on pacifist until about 2 hours before the deadline when I added a collider to the player sprite, lives and the game over and restart stuff :)

The player couldn't even shoot until about halfway through the jam.

As for quitting, errrm, tab out and then close the window? I dunno. I didn't even build the first binary until about an hour to the deadline and I never played it in full screen mode. I like taking things to the wire it seems. :)

I wanted it to feel fluid and have nice effects (the 'sprites' are made of flat geometry so I can fuck with them in the fragment shader) but I just didn't have the time to do some of the essentials so all of that got left by the wayside. I'll pick this one up and finish it I think.

I still haven't started my text based mini-compo game.

One of the twenty somethings at work worked 40 hours did this jam pulling an all nighter on Thursday so he could submit Friday morning and then went to Jamchester and built another game over the weekend having 7 hours sleep between getting up Thursday and going to bed Sunday. I used to do similar things in my 20's but involving drink, drugs, dancing and dames :)

Spraydough
Team RR

Post by Spraydough » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:21 pm

Spellbound Reboot

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1099

This will not be new news to many
#OfficiallySpellbound - http://www.geminusporta.com

Sokurah
Remakenaut

Post by Sokurah » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Glad I'm not the only one one working on these ... multi-year ... projects. :D

Best of luck this time around. 8-)
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
Twitter: Sokurah

sparkes
Remakenaut

Post by sparkes » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:26 pm

I was working on Sir Lancelot for the remakesjam thing (I know, I know, Sok's got there years ago :) ) but things have been difficult the last few days so I've done nothing on it. But I do that the first level with rough mock up gfx playing in a loop. It might go somewhere or it might not. Depends of on life.

Sokurah
Remakenaut

Post by Sokurah » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Hey, that was (bloody) 13 years ago. :shock:
S#it, how time flies. :(
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, if you do manage to make it. :)
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
Twitter: Sokurah

noisechip
Remakenaut

Post by noisechip » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:15 pm

I'm working on some indie games with my team, here a video of last week work :

You can play here :

http://www.gamedanteam.com/

Enjoy !

noisechip
Remakenaut

Post by noisechip » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:18 am

Not sure if i can post "again", i do progress each week so i just want to let it be known.

This is my last video :

Please, tell me if i can't post "twice" on this thread.

Thanks !

gtoal
Remakenaut

Post by gtoal » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:24 am

I'm working on a vector remake of Tailgunner and looking for retro programmers who can help out with the code, now that I've dug myself into a bit of a hole somewhere between the matrix maths and the 16 bit versions of the transcendental functions... If anyone is interested, the code is at http://gtoal.com/vectrex/tailgunner/tgvectrex.c ( http://gtoal.com/vectrex/tailgunner/tgvectrex.c.html for browsing ) and there's a discussion at http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/threa ... nner-again if you want to join in. It's already a collaborative work, I'ld welcome contributions from anyone interested. The code should be portable to any system but is ultimately intended to run on real Vectrex consoles! I had a working version of the code using the Scratch language at MIT, but had to make a *lot* of changes without being able to test, while converting it to 16 bit C, and although the code does run and all the supporting cast seems fairly robust (shields, starfield, score, intro banner etc etc), the main event which is the flying of the ships is severely broken and I could really use some help in getting it working again. This is one of those things where I've gone code-blind and just need some fresh eyes on the problem...

thanks

Graham

StevetSv2
Remakenaut

Post by StevetSv2 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Thought I'd post on a remake (or more likely a revision / sequel type thing) to the original Heavy on the Magick that I've been working on.

Inspired by the original and Spraydough's remake I'd started pulling a version together in GLBasic, as much to get a handle on using GLB as to develop a remake.

It took off a bit and before I knew it I had 300+ rooms and a full set of 20 or so mini questions / puzzles in place before putting it one side while RL issues got in the way. I've managed to get back into it since Christmas (I always seem to find more time during the Christmas hols than any other time of the year to concentrate on programming!) and its developed quite a bit since then so I've posted an update vid on Youtube here:

It's still got a way to go but all the 'quests' are in place and all the rooms are there along with item management.

Working on AI now for the npcs as well as adding the monsters in there. Aim is to get a lot of retro 80's game references into it and it seems to be coming along quite nicely.

Spent 5 hours getting a 'cat walking' animation sorted!! . . . . . . .