The "I'm working on a thing" thread

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
RobF
Team RR

The "I'm working on a thing" thread

Post by RobF » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:02 am

Hello! This is a thread to stash quick notes on what you're working on in. If you want to start your own thread for things, please feel free. If you want to dump it in here *and* start your own thread, please feel free! If you just want to dump stuff in here, that's fine too.

Let's see what everyone's up to. Progress updates welcome, natch.
My love, I am the speed of sound.
I left them motherless, fatherless. Their souls dangling inside-out from their mouths.
But it's never enough.

Twitter | Words | Videogames | Home

ChrisClark
Remakenaut

Re: The "I'm working on a thing" thread

Post by ChrisClark » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:58 pm

As a reply to one of my marketing tweets for Fezball a couple days ago, someone mentioned he's looking for a good Pipe Dream remake.

I jumped right on that idea, I jump on a lot of ideas, but I think I'm going to try and finish this one. ;)

I used to play the BulletProof Software version of Pipe Dream on my original Gameboy, long ago. So I'm going to get most of my inspiration from that. With artwork inspired by the Android game Gurk. They have a large pixel style, but use a grid overlay to make it look like actual pixels on a device.

Here is a screenshot from my current build. The pipe placement and water movement all works correctly.

The smaller version here does not look so good, click on the image to see the full version and full effect of the 'fake pixels'. It looks great on my phone at the full resolution though, it's a much higher DPI there.

Mr_Staypuft
Remakenaut

Post by Mr_Staypuft » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:09 am

Yep - CLICK ON THE SCREENSHOT FOR THE FULL VERSION, PEOPLE.
Looks great.

Used to love playing Pipemania on the PC back in 1994.

PS: Chris were you previously here under another name? (Dopey Question?)

krakatomato
Team RR

Post by krakatomato » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:41 pm

Well, aside from working on DRM Vita with Rob, I'm also trying to find time to knock out a few OUYA games. These are mostly "remakes" of some memorable games I played as a kid.

I bought Monkey a while back but never got around to using it to make a game. I'd previously stuck to C/C++/OpenGL,Java/GLBasic etc. So, over Christmas I had a wee play. Within a few hours I'd got a very basic Asteroids clone working. This one moved along so quickly that I was quite close to chucking it up on the OUYA store. Then I decided it would be "fun" to add two player support, so chucked that in. Then realised that it would be a giggle if I applied elastic collision so that the players would bounce off each other - the result is hilarious as you can boing another player into an asteroid :D

So, as soon as I've ironed out the bugs I'll upload that as a freebie. Then, in between DRM sessions, I'll finish off the Getaway and Alien Swarm remakes I've been muddling over for so long.

So for me, remakes are very much alive.

//Andy

Sokurah
Remakenaut

Post by Sokurah » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:54 pm

I'm also working on a new game. It's for the ZX Spectrum and a remake of a C64 game. Currently I'm using all ripped and temporary graphics, but once I've recieved some brand new graphics from the artist I'll make a new thread for it. :)
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
Twitter: Sokurah

Ian
Team RR

Post by Ian » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:34 pm

I'm re-doing RockRush (DOS, circa 2001) for the OUYA.

I was so disgusted with the official Boulder Dash game on Android/OUYA/iOS that I want to stick a big two fingers up to the creators and release a free, and much better version. Even at a very early stage it's moving a lot smoother and faster on the OUYA than the crap that the official version puked up.
I came. I saw. I Played.

ChrisClark
Remakenaut

Post by ChrisClark » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Mr_Staypuft wrote:PS: Chris were you previously here under another name? (Dopey Question?)
Nope, never signed up for anything here. Only came to the site randomly over the years when searching for old games. But now that I'm making stuff again I'm excited to be around.

krakatomato
Team RR

Post by krakatomato » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Most likely nobody will remember this, but a game I started doing a remake of:

Atari 800 Getaway

I knocked up a quick demo and sent it to the original author of the game and got his permission to continue the project! That was pretty awesome I have to say :)

Anyway, life, work, bleh got in the way so as soon as I'm settled back in to DRM Vita, this one will be finished as a side project:

I commissioned a friend of mine to write some original music for it (it's based on Italian 70s gangster films) and Ric Lumb kindly knocked up an awesome icon :)

So, I guess it'll appear on OUYA at some point soon-ish-maybe-ok-when-it's-done.

//Andy

Ian
Team RR

Post by Ian » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:15 pm

I really like the look of that - chunky and retro :)
My OUYA is waiting.
I came. I saw. I Played.

RobF
Team RR

Post by RobF » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:28 am

Yeah, I'd like to see you finish that Andy. And that other one you were working on.

I'm doing this still:
Runner 2013-12-27 21-20-03-45.png
Runner 2013-12-27 21-20-03-45.png (398.3 KiB) Viewed 9576 times
Runner 2013-12-28 00-33-25-45.png
Runner 2013-12-28 00-33-25-45.png (438.7 KiB) Viewed 9576 times
Which is the OUYA port of DRM. It's going way slowly due to life but it's creeping along and what I throw together can be put to better use on the Vita.
My love, I am the speed of sound.
I left them motherless, fatherless. Their souls dangling inside-out from their mouths.
But it's never enough.

Twitter | Words | Videogames | Home