Afterlife 3 (a freeware roguelike platformer) - v1.10!

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
Ryan
Remakenaut

Afterlife 3 (a freeware roguelike platformer) - v1.10!

Post by Ryan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:15 pm

Hello. :)

Well, this game has actually been out for quite a while now, but as I've just released an update this week and there have been several really big updates since I last posted about it on the old RR forum, it seemed like a good first post to make since (re)joining the new forum.

So, for those unfamiliar with it, this is Afterlife 3: Legends of Rickard Bronson, a 90s-inspired freeware roguelike platformer (or platformy roguelike?) which took me a couple of years to finish before its first release, and has seen several really big updates in the couple of years since. It's really quite a big game, with a lot of enemies (over 100 different types), bosses, weapons, items and stages, with all levels generated procedurally using over 80 (yes, really) different level-generation algorithms. It also has several unlockable minigames, and online scoreboards.

It's actually a prequel of sorts to my game Afterlife: Rickard's Quest, and based on a pretty heavily-upgraded version of the same engine, so if you've played that game, you can think of this as the "roguelike version" of it. In any case, as a prequel, although it's nominally the third in the series, there should be no reason not to play it if you haven't played the first game.

I should point out that the game is very much a roguelike in format: the objective is to get as far as possible before your (almost) inevitable death, and collect as much treasure as possible along the way, using the items, weapons and character powerups you find along the way, and by earning achievements in the game, you can unlock new starting-points, equipment, and other unlockable things that can help you get further next time (there are more than 80 different Achievements to aim for, most of which give some benefit).

It is also very brutal, and not for everyone. If you like to be able to play through a game in one sitting without losing a life, you won't like it. In fact, it's almost certainly too skill-based for a lot of roguelike fans, and too roguelike for a lot of action fans (because alienating the widest range of potential players is always fun) - but if you love both roguelikes and platformers, prefer really big games that take some time to get to grips with and have a lot of secrets to uncover, and aren't put off by what one person in another forum described as a "Nintendo level of difficulty", you might just enjoy it. ;)

So, some screen-shots (because as I post this it's currently #ScreenshotSaturday):

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

The game is (like all my games) freeware, runs under Windows (any version from Windows 95 onwards, at least), and can be downloaded and enjoyed/hated at the following links:

Homepage: here
Download: here
Changelog here

And of course, it goes without saying that all comments/questions/suggestions are welcome (why else would I be posting about it on a forum?) - I may even be releasing further updates with new content in future, so ideas and thoughts are always cool.

Have fun. :)

Ryan