Jet Set Willy remake thing WIP thread

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
BadDogGames
Remakenaut

Jet Set Willy remake thing WIP thread

Post by BadDogGames » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:51 pm

At the moment I'm drawing out possible configurations of rooms in a notepad. Got a long, long way to go. But this was always the big one for me. I've always wanted to remake it, but always wanted it to be the last game I made when I'd gotten to *that* point.

I feel like I've made all the games I really wanted to make, experimented with all the styles I wanted to. Figure it's best to end with a capstone than me churning out loads more crap.

So this will be my last project, so I'd best make it a good one :)

The overall idea will be that the main character will be sneaking into the mansion nearly 30 years after it was abandoned, the owner missing all this time, intending to loot the house to pay off a loan shark.

At the moment it exists only as doodles and scraps of GML in a notepad, but as ever, updates soon.

Sokurah
Remakenaut

Re: Jet Set Willy remake thing WIP thread

Post by Sokurah » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:11 pm

BadDogGames wrote:So this will be my last project, so I'd best make it a good one :)
A white whale then. In that case I really hope you'll spend three months doing it rather that the usual three-in-one-month effort. Otherwise you won't be happy with it and that would be too bad if you intend for it to be your last game.
Good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :)
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
Twitter: Sokurah

Ian
Team RR

Post by Ian » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Once you've remade it, then there'll be another game you want to make/remake.

We hope.

:)
I came. I saw. I Played.

BadDogGames
Remakenaut

Post by BadDogGames » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:18 pm

It's unlikely, unfortunately. I find I have less and less time and also less and less inclination these days. Figure it'd be good to finish on a high note though.

I'm looking at the maps of the original house. Plan is to rework some of the mechanics, but keep the same, desperately hard feel. And I'm certainly capable of making hard games.

Started drawing a few sprites, but this is a loooong way off. I'm also putting a few finishing touches and amendments to a lengthy, fairly technical text adventure that I'm entering into a big competition in March/April. :)

@soks - yeah, everyone needs a white whale. I'm determined to do this one justice

StevetS
Remakenaut

Post by StevetS » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:06 pm

Definitely looking forward to seeing what you produce and how it develops. Massive fan of anything JSW so will be watching this with interest. At some point I will do a platformer and have some ideas but its a way off yet.

When I'm lacking motivation I find a trawl of retro remakes and the other retro sites gives me inspiration. I find it is often hard to stay inspired especially when you're deep in code with an ingrained bug or problem you can't get round.

sparkes
Remakenaut

Post by sparkes » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:18 pm

to think a couple of years back when you found yourself a lovely women to share your life with we where all happy :(

;)

You don't get making games out of your system that easily. You'll never stop thinking about them and one day there will be another game that needs to be made (or remade).

BadDogGames
Remakenaut

Post by BadDogGames » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:16 pm

Thanks for the interest everyone!

I'm going through total creative burnout at the moment and haven't made anything since January. Having a rest for a while to recharge my batteries before I come back to this. :)

StevetS
Remakenaut

Post by StevetS » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:16 pm

Looking forward to seeing what you've developed. :)

I always find that 10 minutes surf of the retro forums and sites gets me in the moods for a good couple of hours coding.