No Man's Sky!!!11111

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
bignobody
Team RR

Re: No Man's Sky!!!11111

Post by bignobody » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:49 pm

Splashed out on this with 3 hours left to preorder.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Only had time to play for maybe 15 minutes... But it feels pretty clunky so far :/

Really unintuitive UI system and just walking around feels slow and awkward. Hopefully I get used to it...

caffeinekid
Team RR

Post by caffeinekid » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:35 pm

Careful with the pre-order ship. It voids the tutorial on hyperdrive I've heard and you end up missing out on the blueprint for that, so if you trade in the ship for another you can be stranded in a system with no way to learn how to create the stuff to leave.

I don't know if that's real, as I don't have the game (sad face) but it seems like a bit of a problem, and something to avoid. LOL
Press 1 to visit my website, press 2 to buy my Android games, or please hold if you wish to speak to one of our advisors.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Saw that, thanks. Also saw in the comments people talking about a work around:
I did this bug but found my antimatter in my third solar system. I just had to buy resources to warp but now I can make them.

caffeinekid
Team RR

Post by caffeinekid » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:55 pm

Over 2000 negative reviews in an hour. OUCH. A lot of people saying the game won't even run for them, or that the frame rate is like 10fps on a SLI 970 system etc. I hope all the glitches and teething problems are worked out.

Maybe they will have to put it on sale to win more players after the launch and bugs people are finding - I live in home because I might be able to get it then. LOL.
Press 1 to visit my website, press 2 to buy my Android games, or please hold if you wish to speak to one of our advisors.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Official reddit thread seems to have tracked down the major crashing problem as relating to chipsets missing SSE4.1

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGa ... sh_thread/

notrobot
Remakenaut

Post by notrobot » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:43 pm

Just been giving it a go on PS4. It's got that feeling of utter giganticness that I haven't got from a game since Mercenary II: Sword Of Damocles, and I haven't even left the first star system yet, but so far it seems a bit too inventory management focused and I'm not really into crafting-type games. That seems a minor quibble though; I have a suspicion they've actually built the Total Perspective Vortex from Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy.

RobF
Team RR

Post by RobF » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:52 pm

Just spent an hour walking round a planet that was pretty much just a rock but even still.

Called it Bobbin's Back Yard.
Learned a few words.
Found a creepy building.
Found some rocks and managed to avoid giving them rude names.
Used up nearly almost all my plutonium as the place is a toxic shitdump.
Probably need to find some more to get off this pissing rock now.
My love, I am the speed of sound.
I left them motherless, fatherless. Their souls dangling inside-out from their mouths.
But it's never enough.

Twitter | Words | Videogames | Home

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:24 am

First Steam game I've ever requested a refund for. Won't play on any of my computers at home. I'll consider it again in the future if/when they iron out the kinks.

RobF
Team RR

Post by RobF » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:59 am

Janky first half hour or so, certainly not helped by it overheating but it seems to have settled down into a nice funk now. There's the odd brief moment of wobbliness as I enter a planet's atmosphere but for the most part, it's pretty solid. Knocking the frame limiter on the head definitely helped.

4 hours in and slight interface jankiness aside, it's pretty much the game I'd hoped it would be. I've only visited 3 planets so far but I'm finding a shit load of wandering around to do on all of them. Probably going to duck off the one I'm on now though as there's a lot of nippy crab bastards getting inbetween me and my meandering. Also, it's a bit cold.
My love, I am the speed of sound.
I left them motherless, fatherless. Their souls dangling inside-out from their mouths.
But it's never enough.

Twitter | Words | Videogames | Home