No Man's Sky!!!11111

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
notrobot
Remakenaut

Re: No Man's Sky!!!11111

Post by notrobot » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:56 pm

Go to zoom in and analyse a newly discovered alien species.
Accidentally hit fire, and shoot it with your mining laser.
Feel guilty that you've just shot something you didn't even know existed a minute ago, and it's screeching in pain and you wonder if you should put it out of its misery...

Ian
Team RR

Post by Ian » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:14 pm

I came. I saw. I Played.

Sokurah
Remakenaut

Post by Sokurah » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:42 am

HAHA. :D

I haven't played it though. It looks fantastic...but also incredibly samey.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
Twitter: Sokurah

RobF
Team RR

Post by RobF » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:57 am

It's a hill generator at its heart. Absolutely love it to bits, just finding the right spot to line up and *click* instant sci-fi book cover.

Also, massively giggling at the internet shitting itself. Looks like it's cleared well over 1M sales between PS4 and Steam and they're all like "it's got 20k bad reviews on Steam, it's terrible" whilst 40-80k people are playing it at any one time. On Steam alone.

The internet has no fucking clue about anything.
My love, I am the speed of sound.
I left them motherless, fatherless. Their souls dangling inside-out from their mouths.
But it's never enough.

Twitter | Words | Videogames | Home

Spraydough
Team RR

Post by Spraydough » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:16 pm

I have no bloody idea what I'm doing....

Nice though, kind of sucks you in.....
#OfficiallySpellbound - http://www.geminusporta.com

RobF
Team RR

Post by RobF » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:48 am

275850_20160904013759_1.png
Why can't all games do this?
I left them motherless, fatherless. Their souls dangling inside-out from their mouths.
But it's never enough.

RobF
Team RR

Post by RobF » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:20 am

275850_20161028003208_1.png
And there we are. 202 hours to reach galactic centre but I wasn't really aiming for the most part anyway. It's been great, really. After a slightly janky launch week, it runs like a dream now and once it stops messing around with inventory stuff it's an incredible hill generator full of sights I wish more videogames could provide. It is a way away from close to perfect but the more time I've spent in it, the more I'm astounded by the craft thats gone into it. The procgen is genuinely astounding - that after 200 hours and I still see new things, that's a testament to the team, it really is. There's so many tiny details that you know don't happen without someone putting so much into them. For a small team, it's an incredible accomplishment.

I'm not without complaints, it definitely needs more props and things to see in general but then, it always will. It'd be nice if things really did get genuinely weirder and stranger as you drew closer to the centre. As it is, there's clearly a lot of kinks in the procgen that ensure things change up somewhat but it's always stymied by too few types of flora, fauna and buildings. It didn't bother me for a lot of the game as I'm here for the hills and that but I can totally understand where folks come from when they say 'it's not enough'. Different rock formations are totally enough to keep me playing but it would be really nice to see more things.

The inventory stuff makes design sense but in practice, it's not really up to much. Way too often the game will put you on hold and make you go and spend half an hour scavenging for an element to fix your ship and it's never not boring when it does that. I know it's there precisely to slow people down but the balance is way off on it. An option to ditch that element entirely (even if it just came in a New Game+ after you completed any one of the three goals) and some better balancing with distances, costs and whatever. That last minute pass they did before launch to rejig stuff shows as a, erm, clearly last minute balancing decision. Everything is just a little off - a few too many jumps to do, ships costing a little bit more. Nada and Polo's story ends a little bit too early.

All tweakable and patchable though and I can see this being worth me revisiting for another 200 or so in a few months or a year when they've had a chance to smooth some more out and throw more content in. I worry a bit that it'll be tempting to add more things to do over more things to see but we'll see how that pans out, I guess. It works amazingly well as an infinitely regenerating walking simulator that you can lamp on some Jarre and kick around in for an hour or four each night and it'd be a shame, for me, if it became work.

Whatever though, I've had an incredible 200 hours with it and enjoyed myself so much. Thanks Tam, Tham.
But it's never enough.

Ian
Team RR

Post by Ian » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:10 am

So, were you actually trying to get to the centre of the universe or was it accidental? :P
I came. I saw. I Played.

GeeKay
Team RR

Post by GeeKay » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:56 am

Well done with sticking with it. It truly is a unique game that I thoroughly enjoy. I've just been getting distracted by other games, but I know I need to return back to playing it.

RobF
Team RR

Post by RobF » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:57 am

Bit of both really. I'd sort of gravitated far enough to make the jumps over a day or two and as I can doodle for my game a bit on the iThing or read a book whilst playing I get a best of both worlds.

I figured balls to it. Hard to tell because everything is procgen but the planet layouts seem harsher this time round. Could be the system I've spawned in but it deffo seems odder.
But it's never enough.