BUPSHMUP: The Build-em-up Shoot-em-up

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
Bankie

BUPSHMUP: The Build-em-up Shoot-em-up

Post by Bankie » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:50 am

Hi all. It's been quite some time and I hope some of you remember me. I've been getting properly back to game coding in the last few weeks and I've shared my latest project with real-life friends, but not really promoted what I'm doing, but I think this might be up the street of one or two of you.

I've always loved shoot-em-ups, but when people build pick-up-and-play retro-style ones now, they tend to also give the graphics a retro feel using sprites and control doesn't always feel that smooth to me. What I wanted to do was to keep the simplicity of shooting endless waves of enemies, but use the power of 3D rendering to make it as slick as possible.

Once I got going, I got the idea of creating the data for the enemy waves on a spreadsheet. This was great up to a point - I could use formulas to create lots of enemies quickly, but it was a bit difficult to visualise what it would look like. Then I thought, why not make a tool within the game to do it? Then, why not give everyone access to the tool then we can have limitless levels and actually have some fun creating rather than making it a drag (and creating shoot-em-up waves is known for being a drag).

So, I have an early (closed) alpha on my web site (bankie.com), but since that time, I've made major steps forward. The main change is that you can draw your own paths you want the enemy to take. Lots of other things have been fine-tuned and enhanced, but as you are not yet familiar with the game, it would be pointless spelling those out. I plan to go into open alpha shortly - definitely before 3rd January when I go back to work.

If you're interested in getting involved at all - that could mean simply playing it, or maybe you want to make levels for the final release, or maybe you want to feed in ideas, or maybe you can draw and want to make the menus and stuff look good - let me know. Thanks for reading all this :)

Minion
Team RR

Re: BUPSHMUP: The Build-em-up Shoot-em-up

Post by Minion » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:54 pm

Welcome back Bankie. The place hasn't been the same since you left. In fact its not been the same since everyone left :( We do have a (slightly) more active group over on Facebook. But there's not much traffic around here nowadays I'm afraid.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/11473637932/

Bankie

Post by Bankie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:04 pm

Thanks Minion, I joined up there already.

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:05 pm

This looks really interesting - will definitely find time to have a play! Keep up the good work.