Building "Basic Engine" boards - any interest?

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
krakatomato
Team RR

Building "Basic Engine" boards - any interest?

Post by krakatomato » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:10 am

I saw this little thing called Basic Engine over on Hackaday and thought it looked quite interesting:

https://basicengine.org/

It's a cheap bit of hardware that you build yourself, then load up with firmware and make stuff in Basic. Yup - basic :)

It actually looks pretty powerful (I've used the ESP8266 chips for WiFi capability before and they're amazing on there own!) and I love the little display chip (actually an 128k VRAM) and now intend to use that in some of my own projects.

Anyway, I figured if enough people were interested then I could get a bunch of PCB's made and then get all the components and build them for people (unless you preferred a kit and soldered it up yourself - although be warned - surface mount components!).

I've roughly priced everything up for 20 of these little things and I can pretty much get everything done (and posted to you if in the UK) for £15.00. If the total cost comes down due to my "rough" pricing then you'll be refunded the difference (I'm doing this for fun and not to make any money).

So, if we can get 20 people showing interest then I'll send out my PayPal account details for payment up front (to pay for all the boards and parts). I'm guessing around 30-40 days to get all the parts delivered after placing first order. So look to getting your boards within a couple of months.

Here's a little video of it running:

Dabz

Re: Building "Basic Engine" boards - any interest?

Post by Dabz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:36 am

I’m interested... I’ll take 3 boards for £45

Dabz

Ian
Team RR

Post by Ian » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:57 pm

Looks interesting. Count me in :)
I came. I saw. I Played.

notrobot
Remakenaut

Post by notrobot » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:43 am

I'd have to refer you to my answer in the ODROID thread!
It does look kinda cool though. I've not heard of those RAM/video generator thingys before.
I started on a BASIC interpreter for the Bitbox (https://github.com/makapuf/bitbox) but as usual haven't done much with it. The ESP8266 is more powerful though. I also have half a design of a Z80-based computer somewhere to be finished. Wish I had infinite free time to do these things!