The board game thread

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
Spraydough
Team RR

The board game thread

Post by Spraydough » Thu May 31, 2018 9:04 pm

We’ve probably had one of these before, but I can’t be arsed to look.

I’ve just turned 45 and, in what seems to be the start of a pathetic attempt at a midlife crisis, I’ve started playing board games.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always played board games, I love a bit of Monopoly, Cludo is also a fave, TP, Pictionary, you name it.

What I mean is, I’ve started playing new board games.

Last year I backed a kickstarter for a game called Illimat. It’s based mainly on my favourite album by my favourite band, sounds odd, I know, but there you go. Illimat got funded and, in November the game arrived. I eventually got around to playing it in February and it was pretty good. Not played it since.

I thought nothing more of it until late April, when, while walking through York, I decided to see if it was for sale in Travelling Man. It wasn’t, but what was in there has plunged me into such a passion for games it’s quite scary.

They had Carcassonne, you see, and I’d heard good things about Carcassonne. My in laws were with me, and they took the opportunity to buy it for me for my upcoming birthday. My Mrs put it away until that special day and thought nothing more of it. I, however, did.

The weeks that passed only really made me want it more.

So, when it came to my birthday list for my wife (yeah, we still do that)I asked for several other games I’d seen.

She got me Ticket To Rida

What a bloody awesome game. Carcassonne is also bloody awesome, but a Ticket To ride is just very special.

So, here’s the question.

What next?

I really want games you can play solo as well as with others, but my youngest daughter has also caught the bug so 2players+ suggestions also welcome

Also, anyone in the Yorkshire are who fancies getting together for board games /dnd /etc, I’m also well up for that.
#OfficiallySpellbound - http://www.geminusporta.com

Tam Toucan
Team RR

Re: The board game thread

Post by Tam Toucan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:54 am

Not sure how much these fit what you're after, but this is just what we've played.

Rhino Hero - for young kids, quite fun
Labyrinth - for the younger kids, not bad
Escape the Curse of the Temple - frantic and fast, but didn't really enjoy it
Port Royale - for older kids (mine is 11), well all enjoy this. I'd like to believe its a luck game, but my son keeps beating me

My kid likes tactics etc. One I've been looking at it Pandemic, but it's quite expensive (cheaper if you buy the older version, but then if it's good....)

Of course, a pack of cards is always a winner.

Spraydough
Team RR

Post by Spraydough » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:47 pm

Yeah, pandemic looks fab. I think I’ll look into Port Royale though, cheers :)

Spraydough
Team RR

Post by Spraydough » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:48 pm

I should also have supplied a little context, that my youngest daughter is coming up 16... :)