Mini Competition #4 -Do it

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
bignobody
Team RR

Re: Mini Competition #4 -Do it

Post by bignobody » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:49 pm

I don't know if it will turn into anything, but I'm messing about with Pico-8 again on the train. So far it's just a movable pixel with gravity, friction and drag (when under the waterline)... How you all doing?

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Added angular rotations and gravity between physical entities last night. Started playing with different control schemes... Originally had a "push in the direction you want to go", but changed that to an Asteroids style once I had the angular rotations going... But I don't like it, so I think I'm going back to push in the direction you want to go but keep the rotation aspect (so you gradually turn towards a new direction).

Feels like it's gonna be a space game. If it becomes anything...

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:09 pm

mas0.png
mas0.png (4.66 KiB) Viewed 173 times
HELLO MR. SUN!

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:32 pm

mas1.png
mas1.png (4.76 KiB) Viewed 168 times
Mercury fly-by

notrobot
Remakenaut

Post by notrobot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:03 pm

^ nice, so is it going to be some sort of 2d Elite? (I'm just saying that to wind Bob up)

well I managed to get a project up and running to build a PC Engine game and launch it on an emulator... so far I'm just initializing the tilemap to a simple pattern, I don't even know what kind of game it's going to be yet! But at least that's a start. I'm knackered tonight from sleep debt so I might have another look tomorrow if I don't go to the free festival in the park instead. 6502 assembly is a different world from what I'm used to so it'll take a bit of time to get my head round.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:49 pm

notrobot wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:03 pm
^ nice, so is it going to be some sort of 2d Elite?
BANNED.

:P

Once I settled on a space theme, I was moving towards asteroid mining. But while working out the bugs in my physics (and getting the right "feel" for the controls) I kind of stumbled on the idea of trying to get your disabled ship back home, fighting various gravity wells along the way.

I still don't know where this is going, but I like flying around the solar system.
notrobot wrote:
I don't even know what kind of game it's going to be yet! But at least that's a start.
I feel like this is right on theme. We don't know where we're going, but we're Doing It.
notrobot wrote:
I'm knackered tonight from sleep debt so I might have another look tomorrow if I don't go to the free festival in the park instead.
You should probably get a good sleep and go to the festival. Save coding for when there's no festival happening.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:37 pm

mas4.png
mas4.png (4.8 KiB) Viewed 146 times
I've expanded the map size to as large as the default pico-8 math will allow and have all the official planets in place. I'm not going to do all the moons, though. I could, but I'm not gonna. I've also been able to upgrade to a newer version of pico-8 that supports fill patterns.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 pm

mas3.png
mas3.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 144 times
I might make an "orbit" button to allow you to enter a stable orbit around a planetary body... Not sure why yet , but it feels right.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:51 pm

mas5.png
mas5.png (3.5 KiB) Viewed 119 times
In orbit around the Moon, which is why it's showing as the closest planetary body in the HUD. Also starting to rough in the HUD and menu...

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:20 pm

mas6.png
mas6.png (4.58 KiB) Viewed 101 times
You can now enter a stable orbit around any planetary body. I've also had to roll my own higher precision floats than what Pico-8 offers to keep the outer planets from orbiting too fast.

Gonna jazz up the HUD next and then make the menu functional. Still don't know where I'm going with this, but it's coming along nicely.