Mini Competition #4 -Do it

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
notrobot
Remakenaut

Re: Mini Competition #4 -Do it

Post by notrobot » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:34 pm

I got joystick reading in so I can now scroll around the map... sprites next! And some sort of audio, presumably. The PC Engine has IMHO a very nice chiptune sound with its six "wavetable" channels but I'm not exactly a sound expert so I'll see what I can get out of it. Sound effects should be easier than music if I go for bfxr-style bloops.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:24 pm

Nice! Glad you got that sorted. I'll be watching your progress.

As for me, I just uploaded what will likely be the final version (because I've already started something else, lol).
Updates:
- When your cargo hold is full (10 slots) ore will no longer be picked up (it used to look like you were still collecting it, but you weren't).
- Inertial Dampening is now active when the in-game menu is open
- Earth has an atmosphere (just using up the last available tokens, really :D )

Tam Toucan
Team RR

Post by Tam Toucan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:27 am

Well I had another 2 trips to hospital so lost another 2 weeks. Think that's about 6 this year at least. Taken 2 weeks holiday to actually get some time for myself (lying on a hospital bed even when not that ill is just "non-time". A kind of horrible twilight zone just waiting for the next thing; doc visit, lunch, scan, dinner....Did have my switch so that helped).

Anyway, been plodding through the TODO list of my glowy robot game. Finalized all the robots; colours, weapon types etc. Put in help page and re-definable controls. Now I'm defining all the the different levels (size of maze, random generation, prisoner placement, graphics, colours etc). Next it's number and type of robots for each level. Then I'll actually have to start play testing it.

Still sound, a game settings page and I need to work out some kind of end level.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Oof, sounds like you've been having a rough time. Hope you're doing better! Also looking forward to your entry :D

notrobot
Remakenaut

Post by notrobot » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:18 pm

Minor update as I'm back at work today and have had other things to sort out like putting Ikea furniture together... also it's been too hot to do anything really.
But I have sprites! Well, a sprite. He's just sitting there, statically, at a fixed screen position right now.
At least I have almost all the bits now to turn this into something that's not just a technical demo or "PCE homebrew 101" tutorial.
Man, this is slow going! Even a simple 16-bit add is a lot of work with about seven instructions.

Hope you're OK Tam. If it were me I'd have to have my laptop hidden somewhere near... I'd go crazy otherwise.
I'd check out MAS but do I have to buy Pico-8 to run it?

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:10 am

notrobot wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:18 pm
Man, this is slow going! Even a simple 16-bit add is a lot of work with about seven instructions.
I did call you crazy already ;)
notrobot wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:18 pm
I'd check out MAS but do I have to buy Pico-8 to run it?
Not at all! I've linked to the HTML5 export version. It should be playable in any modern browser. Pico-8 also exports to Windows/Linux/Mac binaries. I should probably pack those up and put them somewhere...

notrobot
Remakenaut

Post by notrobot » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:38 am

I am still working on this, occasionally. . .
Wrote a MIDI file to assembly converter that spits out a tune in time, note, volume, on|off format which I can use to add a bit of music to the game; there's loads of free MIDI files of copyright-free music out there. Just started on the playback routine.
Also drew a first enemy, a kind of flaming skull that floats around the forest level and kills on touch. This is going to be a Manic Miner-style platformer I think. Collect all the coins/gems/macGuffins and avoid touching the baddies.
More updates when anything else happens!

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Sounds great! I'll keep watching this space...