Mini Competition #4 -Do it

Chatting about life in general, videogames, making videogames and stuff. No adverts/team requests.
bignobody
Team RR

Re: Mini Competition #4 -Do it

Post by bignobody » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:49 pm

I don't know if it will turn into anything, but I'm messing about with Pico-8 again on the train. So far it's just a movable pixel with gravity, friction and drag (when under the waterline)... How you all doing?

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Added angular rotations and gravity between physical entities last night. Started playing with different control schemes... Originally had a "push in the direction you want to go", but changed that to an Asteroids style once I had the angular rotations going... But I don't like it, so I think I'm going back to push in the direction you want to go but keep the rotation aspect (so you gradually turn towards a new direction).

Feels like it's gonna be a space game. If it becomes anything...

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:09 pm

mas0.png
mas0.png (4.66 KiB) Viewed 46 times
HELLO MR. SUN!

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:32 pm

mas1.png
mas1.png (4.76 KiB) Viewed 41 times
Mercury fly-by

notrobot
Remakenaut

Post by notrobot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:03 pm

^ nice, so is it going to be some sort of 2d Elite? (I'm just saying that to wind Bob up)

well I managed to get a project up and running to build a PC Engine game and launch it on an emulator... so far I'm just initializing the tilemap to a simple pattern, I don't even know what kind of game it's going to be yet! But at least that's a start. I'm knackered tonight from sleep debt so I might have another look tomorrow if I don't go to the free festival in the park instead. 6502 assembly is a different world from what I'm used to so it'll take a bit of time to get my head round.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:49 pm

notrobot wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:03 pm
^ nice, so is it going to be some sort of 2d Elite?
BANNED.

:P

Once I settled on a space theme, I was moving towards asteroid mining. But while working out the bugs in my physics (and getting the right "feel" for the controls) I kind of stumbled on the idea of trying to get your disabled ship back home, fighting various gravity wells along the way.

I still don't know where this is going, but I like flying around the solar system.
notrobot wrote:
I don't even know what kind of game it's going to be yet! But at least that's a start.
I feel like this is right on theme. We don't know where we're going, but we're Doing It.
notrobot wrote:
I'm knackered tonight from sleep debt so I might have another look tomorrow if I don't go to the free festival in the park instead.
You should probably get a good sleep and go to the festival. Save coding for when there's no festival happening.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:37 pm

mas4.png
mas4.png (4.8 KiB) Viewed 19 times
I've expanded the map size to as large as the default pico-8 math will allow and have all the official planets in place. I'm not going to do all the moons, though. I could, but I'm not gonna. I've also been able to upgrade to a newer version of pico-8 that supports fill patterns.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 pm

mas3.png
mas3.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 17 times
I might make an "orbit" button to allow you to enter a stable orbit around a planetary body... Not sure why yet , but it feels right.