Games I Played 2017 Edition

Format specific babbling. From Speccy to anything that's not the Speccy but they're probably not as good but we'll live, I guess.
Forum rules
1. Anything but Elite.
notrobot
Remakenaut

Re: Games I Played 2015 Edition

Post by notrobot » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:56 am

just bought Infinifactory in the Steam sale; there goes my weekend...
I'm at a point where I'm not sure if I'm actually enjoying it as much as just obsessing over it.
Spoiler:
my current technique is to build a long conveyor with a single block going round, with sensors to trigger the pushers, this acts as a "timing control circuit" and lets me limit the rate of production, but it leads to some hellish spaghetti wiring and unnecessarily huge complex solutions...
Also I haven't figured out how the scoring system works yet. I think lower is better!

Kryten
Remakenaut

Post by Kryten » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:17 am

As usual Im late to the party on much stuff, as I usually just wait for steam sales these days. Thats said

Sunless Sea - honestly, good but somewhat flawed. Utterly unforgiving and way too much text to wade through, but very atmospheric.

Space Marine - good, honest, mindless fun. For the Emperor!

Just Cause 3 - ok, loved the second one, never played the first. JC3 takes JC2, updates it and makes it funnier. The characters are great, the story wonderfully silly, the game mechanics pretty much on the nose and the mayhem is brilliant. The only downside - you cant tether an enemy troop to the gas canisters that shoot up into the sky, missed opportunity imho.

Kerbal Space Program - just keeps going from strength to strength, with the occasional hiccup. the latest update (1.2) adds commnets, which really ramps up the complexity if you decide to turn it all on, plus a whole host of quality of life improvements.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm

Kryten wrote:As usual Im late to the party on much stuff, as I usually just wait for steam sales these days.
That's OK! According to this thread title we're still talking about 2015 games anyhow!
Kryten wrote:Sunless Sea - honestly, good but somewhat flawed. Utterly unforgiving and way too much text to wade through, but very atmospheric.
I didn't mind the text, the writing is good, but yeah. Unforgiving. Just as I started to feel like I was getting somewhere, it felt like the game would kill me. This is a common complaint that they plan to handle better in the sequel, so they say.
Kryten wrote: Just Cause 3 - ok, loved the second one, never played the first. JC3 takes JC2, updates it and makes it funnier. The characters are great, the story wonderfully silly, the game mechanics pretty much on the nose and the mayhem is brilliant. The only downside - you cant tether an enemy troop to the gas canisters that shoot up into the sky, missed opportunity imho.
It's still on my wishlist. Like you, never played the first, played the heck out of the second one (which I think I was gifted, IIRC). Gonna wait for another sale, though - I've got enough new games to play already after the Autumn sale...

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Ultima IV (remixed). For reals. I play it at work on my lunch on CCS64 emulator. Still has its charm.

GTA V. Wow. Late to the party because I waited until I got a new system before getting it, but I'm glad I did. I've got everything turned up high and it still runs like butter.
I've been playing the series since it was 2D and the latest is a marvel of modern gaming. I was driving through the countryside and a thunderstorm rolled in and I was really struck at how beautiful the world simulation is and how much it feels like a living city. I could easily spend hours just driving around and enjoying the scenery. And I probably will.

My wife, although a gamer, hasn't really experienced any of the GTA series before. It's been extra hilarious listening to her watch me play. Lots of little "oh no"s and gasps at pedestrian carnage. Good times :D

Jim
Team RR

Post by Jim » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:29 pm

I still load up GTA V and just ride around on the "Hog"-style motorbike with custom radio playing for ages.

GeeKay
Team RR

Post by GeeKay » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:38 am

What a game. I've completed the single player campaign just the other night. I never got bored for one minute.

AmazingJas
Remakenaut

Post by AmazingJas » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:07 pm

The only game Ive bought in the current Steam sale is Enter The Gungeon. Best described as a dungeon crawl/bullet hell/rogue game. Brilliantly done, super addictive, a bit on the hard side, but theres a local coop mode which works pretty well. Recommended while its cheap.

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:25 pm

I bought Event[0] because my wife wanted to watch someone play through it. I'm not sure I would have bought it otherwise, but I'm glad I did. Played through in about two hours (though I hear there are multiple possible endings) and worked together on some of the puzzles. The simplified controls messed with me a lot in that I kept wanting to interact with objects in the environment and then remembering I couldn't. It's strictly mouse for moving/interacting with the world, and keyboard to type to the ship computer. Recommended if you can get it cheap.

Kryten
Remakenaut

Post by Kryten » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:19 pm

Mad Max - picked it up for less than £6 in the sale, just finished the main story at about 55 hrs in. A little repetitive in terms of the activities (clear camps, destroy convoys, scavving) mainly as you have to do so much to clear a "zone" to make it safe - that said, the hand to hand combat is great (similar to the batman games), and so is the vehicle combat. But the story is where it shines, playing into Max finding himself again after the loss of his family (for those of you that know the backstory). Also, kind of a mix of all the movies as well - pretty good all in.

Jim
Team RR

Post by Jim » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:23 pm

(I keep meaning to go back to Mad Max!)

I loaded up the first of the Shadowrun series a few weeks back after owning for christ knows how long.
Loving it. Almost at the end of Dragonfall and really "getting" the system. I used to play the RPG so the computer version (I loved the SNES one too) had a lot to live up to and it doesn't disappoint. I have Hong Kong installed and waiting. :)

Between that and Watch Dogs 2 (actually not bad, well, when Raymundo turns up it improves somewhat), I should be kept busy until Cyberpunk gets close to release. :D Riiiight! :D