Games I Played 2017 Edition

Format specific babbling. From Speccy to anything that's not the Speccy but they're probably not as good but we'll live, I guess.
Forum rules
1. Anything but Elite.
Jim
Team RR

Re: Games I Played 2017 Edition

Post by Jim » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Waiting on Destiny 2 to download. It's The Boy's copy - I'll probably get it on PC... Much to his dismay. Best review ever though, "It's Destiny, without all the bullshit." - Polygon.com.

*Buys Destiny 2*

Firefox
Remakenaut

Post by Firefox » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Well, it took me something like 25 years, but in the early hours of this morning I finally finished Starcross.

Starcross was Infocom's first sci-fi adventure, and seems inspired to a large degree by Arthur C. Clarke's classic novel Rendezvous With Rama. (Go read it, it's awesome! [But avoid the sequels...])

I had this back in the day on my Atari STE. I played a good way into it, then... I probably got stuck, other things demanded my attention, ...

I think I must've completed more of it than I thought, though - a lot of the locations and characters were very familiar, and I just seemed to know the answer to the earlier puzzles. It was fun making new maps (obviously my original maps are long gone).

Some of the later puzzles were frustrating because I could see the solution, but finding the right combination of words to make the game do it took a lot of work in many cases. (Not a problem I had when playing Planetfall the other week.) I resorted to the first level of Invisiclues for a few of the later puzzles because my patience was wearing a bit thin. I think a smidge more in-game descriptive text would've helped. (Maybe Dave Lebling was getting a bit fatigued towards the end?)

On the whole, though, I really enjoyed Starcross! The sci-fi setting makes a nice change from the usual swords & sorcery of many adventure games. Nice to have finally finished it, too.
Floyd tells you about the time he helped someone sharpen a pencil.

Jim
Team RR

Post by Jim » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:31 am

Damn. I loved the Atari ST. I had an Amiga but had been lent an ST for a couple of months by a friend. Loved it.
How does a company fall *that* far and still manage to operate? :(

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:40 pm

Currently enjoying Heat Signature. I die a lot, though, so I don't get attached to the characters. Lots of fun breaking into spaceships and sneaking around. Recommended.

High Hell was bought on a whim and I have zero regrets. It's a stupid and stylish little FPS that I figure I'll be jumping in and out of every now and then.

Bought RUINER because it looked cool. It does look cool, but so far feels like style over substance... I think I might wait until the xmas event is over, though. Killing people with a candy cane isn't doing the experience justice for first time players...

Tam Toucan
Team RR

Post by Tam Toucan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:08 pm

Bought myself SteamWorld Dig 2 for the kid's Switch. Loved the first and this is just as good. Also bought Dead Cells for the PC, could be great, but the grind and boss difficulty are too high (maybe once it's out of EA, but I won't hold my breath. So many games that I would play to death are spoiled by wanting to wear the "this is a hard game" badge).

AmazingJas
Remakenaut

Post by AmazingJas » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:04 pm

Yeah Heat Signature is neat. I got to a point where I knew all the tricks and it became a bit of a chore but until then it was lots of fun.

I am enjoying City of Brass. A FPS rogue like with a prince of persia like setting. Punnishing, challenging, addictive, and on sale.

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:08 pm

As usual I'm miles behind everyone else but as Little Hav was brought a PS4 for x-mas I have finally nabbed a copy of No Man's Sky. have wandered around the first planet for quite a while, found some resources and photographed some wildlife but struggling to find all I need to repair my ship.

Also bought The Last Guardian - looks lovely although I have barely started.

Alos. Little Have was given a PS3 steering wheel (good one) and we have both had a lot of fun using it to play Burnout Paradise (on the PC). Can't use it on the PS3 yet as have no way of fixing it down!!!

bignobody
Team RR

Post by bignobody » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:11 pm

The first hour and a half or so of No Man's Sky is fairly clunky, but it does get better. I can't stop playing it.

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:33 pm

That's the feeling I get - just need to find time to play!

RobF
Team RR

Post by RobF » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:01 am

I think everyone knows by now how much I love NMS.

Coming off the back of ploughing through 60 odd games in a short space of time for the IGF late last year plus feeling a bit up against it these past few weeks has seen me slip into a terrible Destiny 2 habit. It's clearly a few expansions away from being all it can be but I'm mainly very happy with what is there. The portal effect at the entrance to The Infinite Forest is worth the price of entrance alone.

Anyhoo, just started levelling my old Warlock up as well now my Titan is brushing up against the soft cap. The clunky moments in the campaign show up a lot more second time round but it's still got some pretty spectacular moments. The endgame is a bit wonky but I like it more than Destiny with there being more public events and things to do in general. TBH, it's mainly let down by having nowhere near enough loot and a slightly wanky shader system.

I'm also spending a good half hour a day with Animal Crossing:Pocket Camp on the phone, mainly because I can play it whilst fucked. Funnily enough, the same is true of Destiny 2 as well though not to the same degree.
My love, I am the speed of sound.
I left them motherless, fatherless. Their souls dangling inside-out from their mouths.
But it's never enough.

Twitter | Words | Videogames | Home