Games I Played 2017 Edition

Format specific babbling. From Speccy to anything that's not the Speccy but they're probably not as good but we'll live, I guess.
Forum rules
1. Anything but Elite.
RobF
Team RR

Games I Played 2017 Edition

Post by RobF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:32 am

Life Of Pixel Finished the 8 bit section of it, couldn't be bothered by the 16 bit. It's -mainly- good but there's a desperate need for a good Scottige-ing on the stages a lot of the time. Way too much of the platforming is reliant on making leaps of faith even with the ability to look up and down and by the time the 16 bit segment started, I'd worn myself out on that. However, a pleasant few hours before then all told and more than got my moneys worth in enjoyment.

Super Time Force Ultra Bounced off it pretty quick. It might be good but the controls were giving me a headache and life's too short for a controls headache.

Pulstar A Fairly run of the mill twin sticker made less than run of the mill by you having to squint to see any of the enemies at all due to someone not realising that actually, yes, contrast is handy.

80 Days Not the old Frogware one, obviously. The Inkle one. Absolutely loving this. I lost a week in Paris trying to get 4 grand out of Fogg. It's smartly written and watching all the choices unfold around you knowing that there's so much more to explore on the next playthrough makes for both fitting and smart design.
My love, I am the speed of sound.
I left them motherless, fatherless. Their souls dangling inside-out from their mouths.
But it's never enough.

Twitter | Words | Videogames | Home

Scottige
Team RR

Re: Games I Played 2015 Edition

Post by Scottige » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:57 am

I played life of Pixel on the Vita and really enjoyed it.
I'm at gameboy now I think.

I know what you mean about later levels.
It's starting to feel like a chore trudging through big unexciting scrolling levels.
If there was more to do in them it would remove the chore aspect.

When it's smaller levels packed with jumps it's at its best.
The double jump is a tricky beast to master too to get maximum height.

I want as far as to call one level broke before I sussed you need to jump again before you reach the apex of the first jump.
That was very satisfying when I finally passed that level!

RobF
Team RR

Post by RobF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:34 pm

Aye, it never really goes anywhere. Just sort of bigger levels which means, because there's no checkpoints, more of a trudge when you die. And there's some right shitbag stuff on some stages where they'll have disintegrating blocks leading up to the door and as they don't respawn, if you fall off or miss a jump, it's all the way back to the start to do the whole stage again.

Should have got you in, man.
I left them motherless, fatherless. Their souls dangling inside-out from their mouths.
But it's never enough.

Tam Toucan
Team RR

Post by Tam Toucan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Marvel Puzzle Quest - After the RPS piece I've been addicted. Haven't paid a penny (35quid is the "most popular" coins option, yeah right!). A match-3 with pretty good strategy element.

Platformines - Was going cheap in the sale and it was a nice play it once game. It's really just a maze game trying to find your way to the next goal, not enough else to keep it interesting (has the "guns with bigger numbers, monsters with bigger health problem"). So if you don't enjoy the maze aspect it's got nothing.

Super Time Force Ultra - Wanted to like it, but it has a major problem that you can plough through a level using the "respawn and change time" ability with no clear concept of if you are doing really badly. You can then run out of respawns and basically be stuck, no change of completing the level. Sort of like hitting Quick Save in Doom when you've only got 5 health, 3 ammo and room full of monsters.

Nation Red - Mindless play once and complete zombie shooter.

Splatter: Blood Red Edition - Mindless topdown zombie shooter. Again place once and complete, better than Nation Red though. Has a terrible gritty film-noir storyline to skip through.

Quest of Dungeons - A Rouge-lite (not "-like", it's tun based rouge game). Same problem with all rouge-lite's; they need more depth. If you are turn based you are basically a strategy game so you can't take a rouge game a remove all the complexity.

Verticle Drop Heroes - Enjoyed this, but gave up after failing to beat the end boss a few times. Definitely got my monies worth, but not enough to go back to.

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - Loved the original and this adds some nice things, but mainly it fixes the performance problems. If you liked the first one get this.

Our Darker Purpose - Potential, but didn't pull it off. Too hard, too bland. Trying to be an Isaac, but failing.

Dungeon Defenders - Got this cheap so could play it again with my kid on 2 computers, since playing on 1 wasn't great. Still good fun and he loves the "Ooh I can level up my Dragon"

Terraria - Again, got this cheap to play with my kid. It's good for what it is, but meh would be my opinion.

krakatomato
Team RR

Post by krakatomato » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Played a few things over Christmas, but most has been fairly average.

Talos Principle - The biggest stand-out game for me for a long time. If you happen across a copy then I highly recommend giving it a go.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - played some of that and I'm already getting bored. I enjoyed DA1, but this is tedium so far.

Ian
Team RR

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Currently spending plenty of spare minutes on Plants Vs Zombies 2. Like Tam, I've not paid a penny for any DLC, but the game gives pretty much everything away over time. I would have happily paid full price for the game in full, up-front, but refuse to pay money for DLC in-game.

EA + PopCap

I came. I saw. I Played.

RobF
Team RR

Post by RobF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:09 pm

There's nothing left of Popcap now really anyway so whatever comes, it's EA with a Popcap hat on.

Anyway, other stuff...

Super Win The Game

I love this. It's got a terrible name but it's a wonderful platform/adventure game that's chilled enough to kick your feet up and just enjoy. The CRT effects are magnificent too.

Geometry Wars 3

:( :( :( :( :(

Spintires
2014-12-28_00002.jpg
Continue?9876543210

I just found it really dull! It didn't really work too hard to capture my interest and nothing it unveiled whilst I played set it up as anything I should continue (pun intended) to put time into. So I didn't.
But it's never enough.

notrobot
Remakenaut

Post by notrobot » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:04 pm

Right now, I are been mostly playin' I Am Level, free Web version here: http://www.kongregate.com/games/smiling ... level-v1-0

caffeinekid
Team RR

Post by caffeinekid » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:37 pm

Currently playing some SSX on 360 when I have time as it was one of the free with gold games and I'm partial to the Tony Hawk style arcade stuff.

It's nice enough but I remember Amped 3 being a lot more fun... In 2008 when I played that.

Just make me want to find amped 1 & 2 for the original Xbox instead as I never had them. :)

And then then I'm not at home I'm sticking with the xgames stuff and playing the lovely OlliOlli on my vita... Thanks again Bob :)
Press 1 to visit my website, press 2 to buy my Android games, or please hold if you wish to speak to one of our advisors.

RobF
Team RR

Post by RobF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:54 pm

I Am Level is really great.
But it's never enough.