Zx Spectrum

Format specific babbling. From Speccy to anything that's not the Speccy but they're probably not as good but we'll live, I guess.
Forum rules
1. Anything but Elite.
Ian
Team RR

Re: Zx Spectrum

Post by Ian » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:23 am

Amstrad users were more hardcore! :P :P :P
I came. I saw. I Played.

pob
Remakenaut

Post by pob » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Recently snagged a late revision +2a for a steal off ebay. Back in the day I had a 48K rubber key, so missed out on all the lovely AY goodness.

For a couple of days I used a cassette audio adaptor to load games from my phone. Couldn't get OTLA (ultra fast tape loading) to work with that, unfortunately, so bought a DIVMMC Enjoy Mini for almost instant loading. I'm somewhat tempted to get a ZX-HD from the same chap. You slap in a Raspberry Pi Zero and get HDMI output, and ULA Plus support. But is it still a Speccy? I'll probably go with a composite mod, which is slightly tricky on a +2a, as I don't want ultrasharp output, although ULA Plus colours would be nice.

I am planning on doing some mods to turn it into a 128Ke - cheap, simple and fixes some compatibility issues with original 48 and 128 games.

I snagged a load of games I missed in the day, particularly 128K, and a few old favourites, plus loads of modern titles. I hadn't realised how much better it would feel on real hardware, with all it's faults, compared to emulation.

I spent a bit of time with Tarzan Goes Ape yesterday. I like it. It's imperfect and there are too many unfair ways to die, but I kept playing it.

PsychicParrot
Remakenaut

Post by PsychicParrot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Since I'm in Canada and they have funny shaped electricity, getting a Speccy out here is either stupid expensive or something I'm technically unable to do.. so when one of them ZX Spectrum Recreated things came on sale mega cheap a month or so ago, I picked one up. It such a shame that the makers of it were so shady with game licencing because I'm finding it's actually a much better device than I expected. I'm loving the rubber keyboard again (practicing safe hex with my rubber keyboard hoho bump). Using it in keyboard mode with an emulator is great fun. I really wish it was the real thing but unless I end up coming back to the UK I don't think I'll ever be able to own the real thing again so it'll have to do.

Anyway.. beat my high score on Jetpack. 25,680. I never got that far through it back in the 80s and I didn't get as far playing the xbox version with a controller - guess the ol' rubber keys and me just get along!