Zx Spectrum

Format specific babbling. From Speccy to anything that's not the Speccy but they're probably not as good but we'll live, I guess.
Forum rules
1. Anything but Elite.
Havie
Team RR

Re: Zx Spectrum

Post by Havie » Sun May 17, 2015 11:42 pm

Got Jetpac to work by downloading another version - so Speccy looks ok (was worries there). Obviously you need to hunt around as not all uploads work - maybe it depends on what Speccy they were snapshotted (is this a real word) from originallyy?

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Wed May 20, 2015 9:20 pm

Have had a go at moding the Megadrive conroller so C button = up. Have found reference to this on the net but not for the model of controller I have (Megadrive 2) so have played around to get it working. A would be better but I don't think this is possible due to multiplexed nature of the controller? Anyway, for a first attempt I got it working by connecting the output of the C button to the output of the up button so that when you press C it sends a signal out of up!!! Just used a wire and 2 bits (well 3) electrical tape. All working well - should solder it but will probably leave it until wire becomes loose.

Will investigate A button instead of C as jump on the left seems more comfortable? I might even try to wire both A and C just to be flash..

GeeKay
Team RR

Post by GeeKay » Fri May 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Havie - soldering......

The trick is to use a decent soldering station rather than a bolt. That way you can alter the temperature of the tip and have molten solder balancing on it without evaporating too quickly. Then use decent liquid flux and not relying on the flux on the solder. Most modern solder is now colophony free for its flux and it doesn't flow that good. So a separate flux will allow the heat distribution to be more evenly spread. Just apply the flux with a cotton bud on the area you are soldering to, not forgetting to also tin the wire you are soldering onto the board prior to this. With balancing the solder on the tip, you can free your hands for the wire to be soldered and the soldering iron. The flux allows the solder to flow from the tip onto the board.

If none of that makes sense, I can you record a vid and upload it to YouTube

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:26 pm

Sorry - Geekay missed your reply - thanks for the tip! I will endeavour to get some flux and try out your tips. I haeva few things sitting around in need of a solder...plus a video would be great!

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:28 pm

Okay - colur me amazed but I stumbled across a pacman arcade emualtor running on a Speccy! It's uses a real rom and plays an accurate game of pacman. Obviously there is not much that could be done about the graphics (but it lends a pacman champship air to the game). Still can't believe it...

It even does this...

GeeKay
Team RR

Post by GeeKay » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:48 am

Nae worries have, I'll make a wee soldering video for you.

Spraydough
Team RR

Post by Spraydough » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:52 am

Wee soldering? Nasty, especially if you slip....
#OfficiallySpellbound - http://www.geminusporta.com

GeeKay
Team RR

Post by GeeKay » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Spraydough wrote:Wee soldering? Nasty, especially if you slip....
Lol, it reeks too :)

GeeKay
Team RR

Post by GeeKay » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:02 pm

Rapscallion looks like a dog's rear end but I love it and it is unique :)

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:58 pm

I vaguely remember seeing this in mags but have never played it - looks well weird!!! Will have to try this out on my Speccy.