Zx Spectrum

Format specific babbling. From Speccy to anything that's not the Speccy but they're probably not as good but we'll live, I guess.
Forum rules
1. Anything but Elite.
Spraydough
Team RR

Re: Zx Spectrum

Post by Spraydough » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:42 pm

Next on the list. Sports games.

And we should start with probably the costliest of them all

Daley Thompsons Decathlon

MY choice of joystick, back in the day, was the Kempston Competition Pro. A wonderful bit of kit, my CP lasted me for years. Until I decided that using the keys on DTD was really not the best solution. I snapped at least 2 CPs and mashed the buttons on a third before giving up on the game.
DTD was a stroke of genius. It really was. Yes, hyper sports did it better, yes, Track and Field at the arcade was obviously a far superior game, but I played DTD to death. Never could high jump though..

Matchday II

They say Emlyn Hughes is better. They are wrong.
Ritman United forever.

And last but not least, not by any stretch of the imagination.....

Ping Pong.

There is something magical about Ping Pong. I hate table tennis, I really do, but Ping Pong was a game you could play as easily or as difficultly as you wanted to. It's simple controls, lovely play and catchy if mildly repetitive music were just perfect if you couldn't be bothered to think about playing.

#OfficiallySpellbound - http://www.geminusporta.com

Spraydough
Team RR

Post by Spraydough » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:01 pm

Ah, Arcade games. Out of all the genres on all the the 8 bits in all the world, Arcade games bore me to Schipol and back the most. That's not to say there aren't any great Arcaders out there. Just not many of them. Keep your R-type, keep your Zaxxon. Keep them all. Except these. These are good.....

Penetrator.

The best Scramble out there. Light years ahead of most other arcade games, fantastic fireworks, great levels, hard as nails but oh so good!

Wild West Hero

Yes, I know technically it's an arena shooter, but back then it was just an arcade game. It still is just an arcade game, the difference is, it's a bloody good arcade game. The AS is about the only arcade style I can stomach any more.

And where would we be without...

Moon Cresta.

My guilty pleasure. I love Moon Cresta. I don't mind a bit of Invaders or Galaxians, I don't take issue with Defender or Asteroids, but the best shmup there was, and quite possibly still is, is Moon Cresta.

That's about as much copy / paste / fix mobile urling I can take for one night. I shall return with....

Graphic Adventures
TRUE Graphic Adventures
Puzzlers
And a general mish mash of other games that just don't fit in anywhere.....

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Thu May 14, 2015 7:44 pm

Picked up a real life Spectrum+ (always wanted on back when I was a nipper) from a boot sale recently. Realised that they guy had failed to give me a power supply (although did come with 2 kempston joystick ports, a printer (not Sinclair), 32k ram pack, 16k ram pack (ZX81 obviously) and 3 edge connector extender cables (never seen these before), a data recorder and a massive box of tapes (mostly serious stuff). Anyway, got a power supply from friendly retro shop in Croydon and low an be hold it worked although through the RF cable the picture was incredibly unstable! Then discovered the composite mod and with trusty soldering iron in hand (well if truth be told this was only my 3rd time I've used it) I cut a few wires and soldered one in (badly) and wow it worked and what an amazing picture. Problem with keyboard as sometime ‘p’ key presses itself – which I think is down to the keyboard membrane as when I have had a look at it, it doesn’t sit flat and looks a bit uneven (which incidentally is a 3 layer design that routes the key presses to extra keys such as cursors or quote. Apparently this works because when you press down there is a delay as your finger puts pressure on the various layers and therefore it can achieve the functions that need symbol shift first – you’ll understand if you have used a Speccy). just love the stuff you can do with retro gear - no tuning required and ou can even plug in via scart block. Data recorder doesn't work well - guess it needs a new belt but managed to load Scrabble and Monty Mole from kitchen hifi - last one in the house that takes tapes! Then discovered that you can load games from the PC or phone! Managed to get a few working but then couldn't load anything...:( Think this is mainly down to lack of volume and not sure how to counter this as loading from a phone would be really useful (plus you can make most games turbo load and when I say turbo load I mean no longer than 30s!). Also played Buzz Saw (really good game). So my adventure continues...

But as this is supposed to be a recommendation thread then I would whole heartedly recommend the original Scrabble (juggling your tiles was always fun):

Buzz Saw (check out the multicoloured graphics):

Spraydough
Team RR

Post by Spraydough » Thu May 14, 2015 11:02 pm

I love boot sales. A new plus keyboard membrane is expensive (ish) but worth it. It think mine cost me about £20. I found that my iPod touch (4th gen) on maximum volume was perfect for loading
I have been considering doing the video mod, but I am so bad with a soldering iron it's embarrassing. How simple is it?

caffeinekid
Team RR

Post by caffeinekid » Fri May 15, 2015 8:51 am

The old pen flash drive mp3 players are great for loading games from especially when you use the super turbo loading code.
Press 1 to visit my website, press 2 to buy my Android games, or please hold if you wish to speak to one of our advisors.

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sat May 16, 2015 8:17 pm

Spraydough wrote:I love boot sales. A new plus keyboard membrane is expensive (ish) but worth it. It think mine cost me about £20. I found that my iPod touch (4th gen) on maximum volume was perfect for loading
I have been considering doing the video mod, but I am so bad with a soldering iron it's embarrassing. How simple is it?
Well - I am no expect with a soldering iron but the mod was really simple. You literally cut 3 connections and then wire from one direct on to the output pin. Infact, one guy has done it with out soldering. My biggest issue with soldering is not having a third hand! How on earth are you supposed to hold a wire in place, heat up the wire and conenction with an iron and hold the solder in place? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the non soldering version:

And soldered properly:

Caff will approve of the test game!

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sat May 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Have made a lot of progress with loading from my phone mainly because I remembered that my scart selector (Wii/Amiga/other - now Speccy) had sound out to headphones and low and behold there was some amplification. Now loading is working reliably and at turbo speeds. Some games don't work but I have discovered that if you load them into an emulator first (Fuse for example) and save a snapshot (as .z80) then you can convert to a .wav using Otla and this seems to work. For exmaple, scrabble would not work from a converted .tzx but does from a .z80. In most case you lose the loading screen but it does seem to work.

There are still some games that just don't seem to work and crash on loading - Jetpac, Spectres (worked for one screen then crashed), Horace goes skiing. I'm not sure if it's because they are 16k games and there is a problem with the Speccy but lots of 48k games are working? Any advice guys?

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sat May 16, 2015 8:26 pm

One last thing - have discovered that a Sega Megadrive pad works fine (button b) and it is amazing what decent control does for you! Will have to have a go with my PSX Adaptor for DB9 Computers that I use on the Amiga (brilliant device that not only allows you to reprogramme buttons - no longer up for jump - but also lets me use a PS1 mouse on the Amiga and turns a PS2 pad into a CD32 pad). More to come...

empty_fortress
Remakenaut

Post by empty_fortress » Sat May 16, 2015 10:32 pm

You can actually buy a third hand :) Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000RB3 ... ref=plSrch

Not sure how well-made those online no-name cheap ones are though.

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sun May 17, 2015 11:39 pm

empty_fortress wrote:You can actually buy a third hand :) Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000RB3 ... ref=plSrch

Not sure how well-made those online no-name cheap ones are though.
I have one but in some instances it doesn't help!