Zx Spectrum

Format specific babbling. From Speccy to anything that's not the Speccy but they're probably not as good but we'll live, I guess.
Forum rules
1. Anything but Elite.
Kryten
Remakenaut

Re: Zx Spectrum

Post by Kryten » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:49 pm

Don't think I ever finished Bobby Bearing either!

empty_fortress
Remakenaut

Post by empty_fortress » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Havie wrote: Arcadia - second shoot'em up I played on Speccy after Spectral Invaders.

I'm seriously digging this one, between the colour clash bursts and the merzbow-esque sound effects it's very, er, trippy?

notrobot
Remakenaut

Post by notrobot » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:48 pm

empty_fortress wrote:
Havie wrote: Arcadia - second shoot'em up I played on Speccy after Spectral Invaders.

I'm seriously digging this one, between the colour clash bursts and the merzbow-esque sound effects it's very, er, trippy?
It sounds like a someone in flip-flops running away from a Dalek!

Sokurah
Remakenaut

Post by Sokurah » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:30 pm

For no particular reason...other than blatantly pointing a finger at myself and saying "look at me, look at me"- have you tried my remake of Arcadia? ;) :lol:

Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
Twitter: Sokurah

RobF
Team RR

Post by RobF » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:24 pm

I've got, like, two WIP versions of Arcadia there. One day I might even finish one.
My love, I am the speed of sound.
I left them motherless, fatherless. Their souls dangling inside-out from their mouths.
But it's never enough.

Twitter | Words | Videogames | Home

empty_fortress
Remakenaut

Post by empty_fortress » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Sokurah wrote:For no particular reason...other than blatantly pointing a finger at myself and saying "look at me, look at me"- have you tried my remake of Arcadia? ;) :lol:

I did, it's good! Thanks to your game I also discovered Ctrl+Alt+Arrow key was the shortcut to change screen orientation, so thanks for the unintended hilarity :D

Sokurah
Remakenaut

Post by Sokurah » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:47 pm

empty_fortress wrote:I did, it's good! Thanks to your game I also discovered Ctrl+Alt+Arrow key was the shortcut to change screen orientation, so thanks for the unintended hilarity :D
Haha, would you by any chance have a Dell? Funny anyway, though. :lol:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
Twitter: Sokurah

empty_fortress
Remakenaut

Post by empty_fortress » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:35 pm

Nope, thinkpad netbook (which I am stuck on until I fix my desktop machine). For the record, your game runs fine on it but doesn't survive a switch from landscape to portrait :p

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:10 pm

"I never expected that?" - a phrase that has stuck with me for the last 30+ years which was gleaned from Artic voice chess. Amazing digitised sound on the humble Speccy and it played a decent game of chess (well it was decent for me considering that I am rubbish at chess). I also often heard "Well, well, well!". (And for those in the know - these phrases we indicators of really poor moves).

Spraydough
Team RR

Post by Spraydough » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:26 pm

My name is Mike and I am a Specaholic.

I have kept out of this thread for fear of overuse. My silence shall now be broken, Deity$ save you all.

I played - and still play - many spectrum games. The Speccy was my baby, first the rubber key sex machine, then the +2 with ALL the RAM and now back to basics, with he Plus.

I will share, if I may, some memories, some fond, some not so, of the top gamage in my years of ZXness.

Sorted in no other order than genre.... Let's have a look, first, at...

Interactive Fiction. (or the good old text adventure, as we used to call it.)

The Forest at Worlds End.

TFaWE was the first adventure game I ever completed. There, I've said it. I was shockingly bad at IF back in the day, this was not a difficult game by any means, but I managed it. I was very proud. Even if I did need my mum to help me.....

Lord of the Rings.

LotR was by far the most well written and complex bit of IF on the Spectrum (sorry Caff, it's true) with an amazing parser, multi character play and a tie in to the greatest single piece of literature ever written it was never not going to be good was it?

But the one I always came back to, always, was....

The Sorcerer of Claymorgue Castle (Adventure 13)

I will never understand Scott Adams. Never. He wrote some of the most fiendish, nasty and I enjoyable puzzles in the world of IF. Seriously, not one of his games actually made sense. SoCC was no exception, it's the sort of game I would normally look at once and think... Screw that. I don't know what kept me captivated. I only got to the fountain, never past it. But I did keep coming back. Stupid game. Stupid stupid stupid beautiful game. I hate you Mr Adams.

#OfficiallySpellbound - http://www.geminusporta.com