Zx Spectrum

Format specific babbling. From Speccy to anything that's not the Speccy but they're probably not as good but we'll live, I guess.
Forum rules
1. Anything but Elite.
Havie
Team RR

Zx Spectrum

Post by Havie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:50 pm

System: ZX Spectrum
Variations: 16k, 48k, Spectrum+, 129k, +2, +3 (and a multitude of clones)
Released: 1982-1987
CPU: Z80a
Memory: 16kb/48kb/128kb
Graphics: 256x192
8 colours with 2 levels of brightness (or 16 colours if you like). Lowers colour (only 2 colours per 8x8 pixel square although this limitation has been overcome in later software)
Sound: 1 channel beeper
Popular Expansions: Zx printer, microdrives, interface 1, interface 2, Kempston joystick interface and loads more.

Emulators:
There are too many to list here. Try: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/emulators.html

Learn more at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum#Hardware

caffeinekid
Team RR

Re: Zx Spectrum

Post by caffeinekid » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:01 pm

Pheenix was the game I saw at a friends house which blew my mind and I just had to have one.

It was the first game at home I saw that wouldn't have looked or of place in and l an arcade cabinet... After only really seeing Atari 2600 and Zx81 stuff before.
Press 1 to visit my website, press 2 to buy my Android games, or please hold if you wish to speak to one of our advisors.

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:12 pm

Top 3D Space Shooter/Anagram Solver for ZX Spectrum: Starion

Well – this one is different! An excellent 3D engine allows a really smooth fast space shooter on the Speccy. I remember this one as the game that made me feel that I was really playing a film (looks silly now but the movement of the spaceships was spot on). When you blow up the bad guys they carelessly leave a letter floating in space that you need to collect. Find all the letters, rearrange into a word and use the word to warp to the next sector of space. Only on the Speccy (although perhaps this game took inspiration from Starion). Great fun and challenging all in one. Created by Speccy’s other legendary software house – Melbourne House (Hobbit, Penetrator, The Way of the Exploding Fist and Horace games anyone?

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:19 pm

caffeinekid wrote:Pheenix was the game I saw at a friends house which blew my mind and I just had to have one.

It was the first game at home I saw that wouldn't have looked or of place in and l an arcade cabinet... After only really seeing Atari 2600 and Zx81 stuff before.
I knew it wouldn't take you long to pop up in this thread! Completely agree with Pheenix - great conversion (unofficial) and made in those days where it was ok to use more than 2 colours on the screen at once! Here it is in action:

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:20 pm

Top Shooter for ZX Spectrum: Jetpac

A bona fide classic from the very early days of the ZX Spectrum. Released in 1983 it is the tale of one astronaut’s quest to rebuild his spaceship and fly round the universe. To an impressionable 14 year old it was a heady combination of Joust (the platforms), Defender (the laser) and something not seen before on the Speccy – smooth fast sprites. It may be hard to believe today but it was almost like having an arcade game in your own home – something that many systems had boasted but not achieved. And this was all in 16kb (count them). If you only play one Spectrum game – make it this one!

Havie
Team RR

Post by Havie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Havie wrote:
caffeinekid wrote:Pheenix was the game I saw at a friends house which blew my mind and I just had to have one.

I knew it wouldn't take you long to pop up in this thread! Completely agree with Pheenix - great conversion (unofficial) and made in those days where it was ok to use more than 2 colours on the screen at once! Here it is in action:

Compare to Mega Phoenix which maybe a bit smoother and have some improvements to the gameplay including power ups and the ability to shoot a wing off the flying bird aliens (like the arcade) but how dull does it look in drap white with a vaguely coloured background - I know which I prefer.

GeeKay
Team RR

Post by GeeKay » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:47 am

STRIKE FORCE COBRA

Jim
Team RR

Post by Jim » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:50 am

GeeKay wrote:STRIKE FORCE COBRA

Absobloodylutely!

I have a crappy copy that only worked if Saturn was in alignment with Uranus so I would spend about half an hour just getting it to load but I loved the game that much, it was worth it.

GeeKay
Team RR

Post by GeeKay » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:13 am

Avalon.

Still my most favourite RPG to date. And still not remade..hint hint :)

Jim
Team RR

Post by Jim » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:16 pm

Swords & Sorcery. Always died of gangrene though.

Was kind of like an early Dungeon Master. Very, very fiendish.